Sign in to follow this  

My experience with MAWonline.com

I had ordered an HJC CLX-4 helmet from MAWonline.com 2 weeks ago and have still not got it. I did some research online and found it for $40 cheaper so I called and asked where it was and then asked if they price matched, I was told they couldn't do it, so I asked if I could return it and was told that I could but I would be charged a 10% restocking fee and that I would be charged for shipping both ways. I know that I should have checked further into the price before I bought it and that is my fault, but I feel that this is a terrible way to do business. 2 weeks is way too long to wait and a restocking fee is ridiculous. I just wanted to let everyone know how they do business.

Sorry to say it, but that sounds about right for any business...... Maybe not the re-stocking fee, but the shipping. yes. 😢

So you're mad at them because you found it somewhere cheaper? Why should they pay the freight back if you don't want it? Reason Number 76 to buy local. Most mail-order deals come back to earth when shipping is added.

No matter what you buy, or who you buy it from; there will always be someone cheaper.

BTW - I just replaced my CLX4 last week...$95 OTD.

Most mail-order deals come back to earth when shipping is added.

That is only a true statement if you have a dealer or race shop local to you that doesn't charge full retail and isn't completely clueless. 😢

Shops like that are farther and fewer between than people like you seem to realize.

On top of that, add the amount of time wasted to drive to the dealer. In Houston Texas that could be easily be more than an hour.

I just bought boots from a dealer. While I got a good price, it wasn't any better than mail order. If I had mail ordered I wouldn't have had to waste my lunch hour going to pick them up and standing around waiting for someone to actually help me.

I just can't tolerate it anymore when people preach about supporting the local dealer. If it works for you, fine. But don't preach to me about the value of my dollar or time.

On the flip side, I've ordered several things from them and always had great experiences. I once ordered some gloves from them but was sent the wrong size (their error). They immediately sent me a UPS pre-paid label by e-mail and got the correct gloves to me within a couple of days. Another time I ordered a Battery Tender, but they were out of stock. They sent me the next higher model for no additional charge!

More and more of the online retailers have done away with actual physical stores or warehouses. Your helmet was likely delayed due to a delay in them receiving it from the supplier. Nearly all of the photo and electronics retailers on the net have gone this route, and it's the main reason that they only offer relatively expensive FedEx shipping as an option ('cuz they don't want the customer to fuss about waiting so long for inventory that is not currently on site).

Sorry to hear about your delay.

I just can't tolerate it anymore when people preach about supporting the local dealer. If it works for you, fine. But don't preach to me about the value of my dollar or time.

Ditto.

(Why should the rest of us have to listen to you preach when a mail-order deal goes bad? 😢)

Sorry you're having a bad day. 😢

Having dealt w/ MAW in the past, I can tell you that shipping is negotiable. If you think they're robbing you w/ their high shipping charge speak up and tell them so. I ordered a three hundred something Shoei helmet from them last time and balked when they added in their high shipping charge. Told them to forget & to cancel the order. When they asked why, I told them their s/h charges sucked. They then asked what I thought would be an acceptable fee. The CS operator I was dealing w/ went back and forth 3 times with her manager before we agreed on a decent shipping price. Just a FYI/FWIW...

THat's what I am saying, why jack up the shipping to lower the initial price. ANd why is it 2 weeks later and I still dont have the helmet? Why didn't they tell me they were out of stock? And I dont recall anyone telling me recently that they dont price match. That just seems like bad business to me. I work with the public and am constantly being reminded that "the customer is always right". If you do a good job people might feel compelled to tell 2 or 3 people but if you dont you can bet your ass that they will tell everyone they know. And what is up with a 10% restocking fee? Thats BS. I know I should have checked around more before I bought, that was not my point, I think the way they basically told me that "we got you" and "sorry about your luck".

Oh, and www.tonker.com was where I found it delivered for $103. Only $6 for shipping, I think I paid 3 times for that from MAW and it didn't say anything about a "handling" charge. I am just venting to blow off some steam but I dont plan on getting anything else from them.

There are a bunch of folks on this forum that will put you down no matter what you say. It's not fun to realize you've been taken advantage of.

Ditto.

(Why should the rest of us have to listen to you preach when a mail-order deal goes bad? 😢)

Sorry you're having a bad day. 😢

I wasn't having a bad day but thanks for your empathy. 😢

Rafartist - you are not alone. There have been other reports on TT about difficulty with MAW. Your's just continues in that tradition.

The bottom line is that mail order can be good or bad. In the future be sure to stick with the mail order companies with the best reputations:

www.thumpertalk.com

www.rockymountainatv.com

www.bobscycle.com

www.motosportoutlet.com

www.mxsouth.com

I have personally dealt with all of the above on multiple occasions and have ALWAYS had great service and no BS shipping costs.

Regards

Yeah they are the ones that I usually use. I just figured I would put the word out and save someone else the aggravation I am experiencing.

Well, if they haven't shipped it in two weeks, I would cancel the order.

I thought mail order couldn't charge your VISA or MC until the shipping date.

If you bought it and changed your mind, you should pay for the shipping.

That is not their fault. Restocking fees vary company to company.

10% is fair if it was delieveried and out of inventory.

I prefer zero, but that varies from company to company.

I hate the idea that I will be gouged on shipping unless I haggle on the shipping price. Their high shipping price quotes is EXACTLY why I stopped using them. Don't sound very cost effective having to negotiate a shipping charge with a customer.

Oh, and www.tonker.com was where I found it delivered for $103. Only $6 for shipping, I think I paid 3 times for that from MAW and it didn't say anything about a "handling" charge. I am just venting to blow off some steam but I dont plan on getting anything else from them.

I bought my nephew a CLX4 from Global Moto Outlet...$79.95!!! And they don't have restocking fees.