Sign in to follow this  

wr250f vs 450f

I'm looking to get rid of my heavy DRZ, and get a WR of some sort. I love the DRZ, but its old and I want a more enduro style bike. I've narrowed my search down to the wr250f or the 450f. Here's my big questions...

I weigh about 200lbs with gear. Is the 250f a big enough bike? I'd like to do power on 2nd gear wheelies to get over obstacles and such... any problem on the 250 doing that? What are your opinions on the two, and what are the tradeoffs involved? Thanks for your help!

never been on a 450 but my wr250 does good with me and I weigh about 200. I can wheelie over stuff in second

Same here, 250 has more than enough to put me on my 200lb 😢

AFTER you un-cork it

250 is lighter and more nimble through the tight stuff (woods) 450 has the power and speed for the open stuff (desert) I would buy for wear you ride

I'm pretty happy with mine, just miss the low down grunt of the z400.

The 250 is QUICK I must say though, you do have to ride it higher in the RPMs moreso than the 400. That being said, it does have sufficient grunt that you can roll off the throttle and then back on on a steep hill.

I rode a friends CRF450, didn't like it that much. WAY too much vibration (may be different on the WR450f). Got up to speed REALLY nicely though, didn't feel uncontrollable - just would realize "hey I'm going really fast and there's a corner..."

Tough call, I'd try to ride one first - just make sure they're uncorked.

I've also heard REALLY good things about going to a 262 kit with 13.1 compression - REALLY helps with the low end from what I've heard, and only cost like $375.

I am thrilled about how much more nimble the 250 is over my DRZ though. It's just quicker and better suspended.

Everything is about compromise... 😢

stay away from the 450

the 250 is plenty powerful and the 450 makes your arms hurt from all the power that you don't really need

It all depends on where you ride and your style of riding.Here in the ozarks I found out a 450 is to much power and weight.Sometimes the power is nice to have but everything has its tradeoffs. I think where I ride light and nimble is better than big and brutish.Also I have more fun in the upper RPM.If I rode my 450 that way I would be dead.

After rereading your post I see you live in CO.I know people who have had no trouble riding a 250f at high elevation but thats where you could use the extra power of a 450.

Thanks for all the help, fellas. Of course I'm still undecided, guess I really need to go ride them both! I really like the idea of a light quick bike, but need to see how it would do up on a mountain in the thin air. Thanks again! 😢

I've had mine up into th 4500' range, unfortunatly I apparently didn't have the needle adjusted right so I had NO low end. However, as long as I kept it in the upper rpms it did just great!

I've had my 250F since April and absolutely love it. I think most people can adapt to anything and the 250 definately has enough power for about anybody at any riding level. I would consider, east or west coast riding? are you racing? how tight are the trails where you are at? and are you pleasure riding or on the gas most of the time. Both are great bikes although you have to ride the 250 more aggressive to really make it go IMO Good luck with your decision.