Sign in to follow this  

OT: help me build a bike

I have decided to tackle my biggest project yet, building a bike. No more dinky racks for my DRZ, I want something to keep me busy even if it takes a couple of years to complete. No I'm certainly not going to build a bike from scratch but rather use various parts from some bikes to build something I want. Here is what I'm aiming for - a classic looking cafe racer powered by a thumper (what else) motor. It should be small and compact, light and fairly simple. For a motor I was thinking XT or XR 500/600. I don't think a offroad frame will work so I'm looking at older roadbikes and this is where I need some suggestions. I know a shop that sells old frames, lots of them. In keeping with my small and simple idea what would be the ideal frame ? Here is a link to a bike that gave me the idea for my creation Borile

Maybe I'm being to over enthusiastic but hey it's worth a

try, like I said before I love tinkering. Any ideas greatly apreciated 😢

Building a bike like that is a huge effort. I'd suggest buying something already running and then strip it down to something that "looks" like what you want. Getting the suspension geometry to actually work and then the engine fitting and the electricals etc...You need a machine shop and weld shop as well. I highly encourage you to do something creative, but going that route is huge $$$$ and usually disappionting. Do a search on street tracker or flat tracker and check some of the finds on those sites and even Evil bay in the "others" section of the motorcycles. Some of the single cylinders seem to be the "look" that you showed on the link with the upright bars and 18" wheels. Just some suggestions and maybe get some good ideas from there. Good luck.

joe

Dan, you need to hook up with Burned and pick his brain a little, you are a man after his heart, so to speak.... :lol:He has forgotten more about bikes than most of us will ever know, and I think he loves a challenge 😢 :cry:

may i suggest the 650 yamaha twin motor for power.the bikes are plentiful and cheap.the motors make sweet power.you can make anything out of them.

my street tracker

DSCF0032.JPG

DSCF0034.JPG

my 650 yamaha vintage mx'er

DSCF0008.JPG

my 74 tx 650 cruiser.has correct side panel fitted now.

DSCF0010.JPG

You see that's my problem, I'm already dreaming about riding my creation (and knowing what it should look like) meanwhile I tend to forget about all the fabricating needed 😢 Thanks for all the info so far. I'm going to look at some "project bikes" to see if it's worth while.

As much as I've owned a lot of them go with the Honda instead of the XT TT's. The XR's have a more modern motor that is surprisingly reliable and can be made very powerful too. I raced a lot of the old Yamahas but unless you can come up with a race frame I'd go Honda. Parts are another consideration. I've seen 600 XR's that wiould blow you away with the power you can get out of them. They are still fairly reliable too. I just hope none of my old Yamaha racing friends see this and come choke me in my sleep. prairiedawg 😢 :cry: 😢

Yamaha 650 is what alot of hillclimbers use to make massive power, I hear the motors are pretty simple. I'm with Burned you can do alot with these bikes!