Sign in to follow this  

Ok Jetting Guru....Here's one for ya

CrackiN,

Sorry, I don't have a jetting kit for a '86 XL600.

-Try calling Sudco for recommendations (1-800-998-3529). The pilot jet could be richened and the needle clip position lowered to add fuel in the low throttle range. If you don't have clip position options in your carb, Sudco also has small washers for shimming the needle higher.

A thorough cleaning of the carburetor would also be worthwhile to make sure none of the fuel passages are clogged too.

I hope this helps,

James

Thanks James....the carbs were just rebuilt so I am assuming that the shop took care of any fuel restrictions but, Ya never know....I first tried running the bike on full choke and it ran great...It was at this point that I could start to smell a hint of richness from the exhaust..The temp was running as high as 250 but no more than that so I blocked off half of the air intake on the air box to get it to run as rich as possible. The temp is holding stable around 220-240 on the highway with some hesitation when backing off of the throttle...I couldn't run 50 mph for any length of time before without the bike getting really hot 260 and climbing....Could you advise a jet size? Can I drill out the jets that I have?

Keep good notes and buy several of the next size bigger jets from Sudco. Use the carburetor needle for jetting in the range of 1/8 to 3/4 throttle (most of where you're interested).

James