Sign in to follow this  

Riding Areas in Virginia

I'm looking to get in some riding before it gets too cold down here. Does anyone know of some riding areas around the southern part of Virginia? Within a 100mi. radius of Henry or Roanoke Counties would be wonderful. I would also prefer a trail-type environment. Thanks guys.

The GW forest site lists a few orv trail areas. I've ridden some with a group of dual sport riders...but there' a lot of miles of trails you can ride without a tag.

i live about 2.5 hrs from u in wv 100s of miles of trails. ride everyday even when its raining

The GW forest has two riding areas not too far from Roanoke- Patterson Mtn. off 220 just west of Eagle Rock (Botetourt Co.) and another, forgot the name, over by Big Island on 501. These trail systems are narrow douletrack (ATV wide) and all sort of loop back into themselves.

Also there are some long stretches of the Iron Mtn. and Va. Highlands Horse trails whitch are bike- legal. Some parts of these trails are singletrack. 😢

Craig Co. has a lot of old jeep roads & such, connecting them takes a road- legal bike. I have only explored a little of this stuff so far, but it seems promising. Let me know if you want to meet & ride. I'm new & slow.

I've been thinking about riding some of the National Forest ORV trails. Phreakinggeek, what do you mean 'without a tag'? Sorry, I'm new to riding in public areas. My land is getting kind of boring. Also, I would have to have an approved spark arrestor on my 250F right? Jones321, we live pretty close. I live in Horsepasture down in Henry County, about an hour away from you. If I can find some time we'll have to hook up.

I meant without a license plate. Like one of the other posters mentioned, you can get to a lot of trails in that area but to connect them all in the same ride, you need a street legal bike with a plate. Some of the loops are only 10 miles or so long...so to make a day of it, we ride a loop and take the road to another loop. I rode with some TT guys and did about 130 miles in one day...

Also, you DO need a spark arrestor on any bike you plan to ride in any national forest. The rangers dont play around when it comes to fire prevention...they'll kick yer ass and take your lunch money. 😢

hth,

That 130 mile ride sounds like a good time! Were you guys in NOVA on that ride? There seem to be a few NOVA TT'ers and I know you guys have a good sized club up there that put on a "Shenendoah 500" this year. Being right on 81, I can be anywhere in Va in 3-4 hours and would love to try out some new trails. The two OHV areas I mentioned in the earlier post do have short miles- maybe 20 miles worth each, but they are mostly short loop trails that come back into each other and are pretty fun...some steep sections, one long hillclimb at Patterson Mtn., and some little jumps (or speedbumps if you're chickens#@t like me) and mudholes. YZ, we could check out either of these areas any weekend you have free. Patterson is an hour from me and Big Island is 1&1/2. They do require a spark arrestor.

Please keep me informed of when you guys ride. I'm in NOVA but don't mind trekking a few hours to ride, even coming down to the Roanoke area for a weekend would be OK as I know a few people in that area. And if anyone wants to ride in the forest areas west of Harrisonburg I'm up for that too.

I live down near the james river. Any of yall know public riding land down here? 😢

What about trails in the immediate NoVA area (Fairfax/Loudoun counties, etc.)? Is there anything??

What's up near Harrisonburg? I have done some Mtn. biking up there and it was cool. Same trails maybe? (hopefully?)? One of my Mtn. bike guidebooks mentions a "Second Mountain OHV Area" but I know there has to be a ton of stuff up that way b/c the GW is thick there AND butts up against the Monongehela. A trail-ready dual-sport could get good and lost, I'm guessin. Enough talk! Lets go this weekend!

I've been riding tons of trails, and fire roads just outside of Harrisonburg. The area is just unreal. Your bike just needs to be tagged to ride the area I'm told.

There are hundreds of miles of this stuff.

Last weekend we did 300 miles of nothing, but fun stuff.

The area is just awesome.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t5.jpg

t6.jpg

Soulman, are those last two pics from Reddish knob?

Yes...

Let me know the next time you're riding near Reddish Knob. I'm over there a lot and can ride there from my yard.

I'm right in the middle of the GW and Monongahela Natl. Forests so send me a PM when you want to go for a long dualsport ride. Here are few pics from some summer rides in the Monongahela.

Dualsport Pics

Soulman, are those last two pics from Reddish knob?

Yes...

Let me know the next time you're riding near Reddish Knob. I'm over there a lot and can ride there from my yard.

I'm right in the middle of the GW and Monongahela Natl. Forests so send me a PM when you want to go for a long dualsport ride. Here are few pics from some summer rides in the Monongahela.

Dualsport Pics

I'll be up there Saturday and Sunday most likely.

We parked last time beside the lake near the bottom of the mountain.

Great pics on your site.

I'm just getting into off road riding. It sucks being a newbie all over again.