Sign in to follow this  

how to make the xr400 more motocross friendly ?

Im trying to figure out what i need/can do to make the bike a little more friendly on the track. I've got plenty of power and have the gearing the way i like it, now i'm trying to get the suspension set up properly. I'm about 6'1 and 195 lbs. the thing i don't like about the setup now is that if i land long on a jump i tend to bottom out the front and then the bike likes to take a hop back in the air before settling back down. I don't know if it's the compression i need to change or the rebound.

should just look to replace the entire fork system?

have any of you guys done mods to aid in motocross riding specifically, and what were the results?

anybody changed the rake of the front forks to make them longer?

Anybody installed the summers fork brace and what do you think about it?

any help or recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated. :cry:

Thanks

Josh

Step one: Sell bike

Step two: buy motocross bike

Yay, it works well now, no?

XR's do allright on a track, as long as you're not.. uh... racing.

I dont think any mods in the world will really make the XR a competative MX bike.

Step one: Sell bike

Step two: buy motocross bike

That's the best advice you could get as far as I am concerned.

Or maybe....

1) Buy MX bike

2) Ride MX bike on track

3) Ride XR off track during repair down times

Hey, nothing's as reliable as an XR!

Let the flaming begin!

If I could keep my XR, AND a MX bike, I would. As it is, bye bye XR and hello YZ250 :cry:

While I have never personally raced an XR400 in MX, I do recall back when the bikes were first introduced that it wasnt an uncommon sight to see a few "refined" models show up on the line at a track that featured a more natural terrain. Even today, I see one or two guys racing west coast style grand prixs on them and doing OK in the 30/40 C class. I think a large part of their success stems from the other riders not really being in good shape, nor possesing skills that even remotley allow them to take advantage of their respective machines better, weight and suspension. I spoke with one rider a few years ago asking why he choose to race an XR400? A former open class pro in the late seventies, he stated that a demanding job and three kids precluded him from ample riding and wrench time. He needed a bike that required little of both. Bottom line is this, if you are wanting to race a few mx events a year in the C class, and restrict yourself to natural terrian style courses, an XR400 with suspension upgrades will hold its on, if you really work on rider skill and conditioning. All things being equal you are at a disadvantage amongst true MXer's. But as we know, the playing field is rarely equal.

If you are riding with the stock fork springs, replace them with stiffer springs.

Next consider revalving the fork and shock to suit your needs.

Rather than plow thousands into making the XR something it is not, buy a used 250 2-stroke. Then you have a sweet MX bike and a great trail bike. That's my plan.

I am starting down the same road. Not looking to be Jeremy McGrath, just to handle that "big stuff" reasonably.

Just replaced the fork seals, used 7.5wt fork oil, looking for HD springs. I may upgrade the rear spring after that.

To me, the SRC fork brace is a must for the trails I ride, and certainly doesnt hurt track efforts!

If you plan on more extensive MX riding, professional suspension work or another bike might be in order. For me, neither is an option, so I will make do with what I have and what I can do to improve it.

Robert :cry:

Thanks for all of the info guys, the knowledge and experience on this board is second to none. I think i'm leaning to a 250 or 125 2 stroke as of now. I spend so much more time at the track and seem to enjoy the whole "jumping" thing alot more than the trail riding. now that i've put it down a few times from the front end washing out in turns, it's been hard to get my confidence back and it just seems like it will never get right.. I also made the mistake of taking a few laps on a buddies cr250 factory bike and realized what i could be doing.

the 400 just exhuast me on the track and the cr was like riding a rail. who knows? i do have the bike for sale in the bikes for sale column if anybody is interested.

Thanks for the help.

ps can you still be on the board if you ride a 2-stroke? :cry:

2stroke? I suppose!!!

Where you ride? Im in Chas, always looking for cool spots to ride!

Robert :cry:

stuff the xr400 engine in a older 250/500cc mx bike chassis....lot cheaper then buying new bike. then sell your xr stuff off. i stuffed a 87 xr200 in a 1985 rm125 just for somthing dif than all the cr/xr200 conversions out there. :cry: