Sign in to follow this  

Brand new cfr150 hard to start

Have a 4 day old cfr 150. Can hardly get the thing started. Tried all way, choke on and off over separate days. Takes about 10 kicks and HAVE to roll the throttle to get it going an KEEP it going cold. Manual specifically says DO NOT use throttle at start - but wont stay running if I dont.

Been told both its not unusal for these bikes when new, and also been told its way abnormal, something's wrong.

Its going to service Monday, but its a little frustrating.

New to biking, but not THAT new. Is it a true statement that the throttle should never be used whn starting the bike?

Many thanks

Todd in Cincinnati

You may get a different answer to this question from every person who responds! I have had two and four strokes that all had different starting rituals. You will ultimately develop one that works for you and your current bike. Don't be too surprised if it changes after it is well broken in and you have performed the first engine maintenance. (valve adjustment) Good luck !

If you rejet the bike it will start much easier, and not to mention run better.

It's true to not touch the throttle. On a two-smoke you may have to, but its a no-go on a 4 stroke.

But yeah, these bikes are cold blooded to start, even the 230's. On the 230 you either have to bump up the idle or use some other method for them to run when they are cold.

Rejet, break in the bike and check the valves just like coeshow said, and it will be easier to start later on, but it's not going to start like a 2 stroke!

that happened to my brother crf 100. probaley just have to rejet it. or thses somthing wrong with the carb.

Gunslinger-

I had the same problem with my 150. It's just picky about the "starting ritual" that someone else alluded to earlier. I have had times when my old man could start it easier than I can, and I'm kicking harder! His secret: give the throttle a good wick right as the kickstart lever reaches the bottom of its stroke. As far as the no touching the throttle, I would say that if you have a bike that starts and runs that well, then great, but some are more cold blooded than others. I also noticed an improvement after break-in, etc. Hope this helps.

heres what i do ( i have re-jetted but it works on stock) put it on full choke open up the throttle about 1/4 of the way and kick it about 1-3 times it should start up then keep giving it throttle in full choke to keep it from dying then switch to no choke and rev it up and stuff until it will idle but usualy you have to kinda ride around a bit b4 it will idle but i think my idle screw is down a bit 😢

also, it helps to turn up your idle screw a tad when it is stock

Have a 4 day old cfr 150. Can hardly get the thing started.

Hang in there, they definitely need a little breaking in and adjusting when new. So darn lean.

I hated my bike for the first 2 weeks but it got way better and is now so easy to start that I can crank the kickstart with my hand and it starts like a dream! Also, I can actually start the bike easier than my hubby so I must have picked up the kick technique that's best for this bike.

When new, I had to give it full choke & a wee bit of throttle. We then adjusted the idle screw and valve clearances and it started much easier but I still needed the choke/throttle.

After rejetting it starts even easier and doesn't need any throttle now.

Lastly, it's tough to restart (especially when still fairly new) after dumping it so get used to figuring out the best technique for that. I always forget which side it is but I think it's the right side dumps (bike laying on it's right side) that allow me to restart pretty easy so I just make myself be more patient when I dump to the other side. Whatever 😢

Just took delivery of a '2004 CRF150 on this last Friday 10-29-2004, same prob, wouldn't start, brand new out of crate. The dealer service guys had some sense and were able to diagnose a faulty float bowl setting (too low) ... and also checked the igntion (OK) & valves (OK). That fixed it!

I like riding these little red rockets

😢 First of all, my bike was in your conditions when i bought mine too..... It was a real MF'er to start... I hated it! Now that my bike is broken in its starts up no problem first or second kick and engine sounds as if its already warm... Amazing .... after my crash i must i have fixed it 😢..... My bike is completly stock,. so its just a matter of time.... I went riding yesterday and school'd this guy on trail ( he had a 650 😢) roared like there was no tommrow... he was riding up on one almost all the way during the straight aways

So its just a matter of breaking in.... be patient my man... everything else comes with time....

Alright the bikes brand spanking new, most 4 strokes are hard to start when they are new. On a 4 stroke you are not supposed to touch the throttle when you start it although you may have to this is probably due to, poor carburator settings. Before you go all out on the carb and rejet first try adjusting the idle screw and raising the idle, your manual should show you how to do that, other wise try rejetting it.

well, i have to disagree about your "not suppose to give it throttle" because i know on all the new 250's and 450's your not supposed to cause' they have a accelerater pump but these bikes don't so i have to give mine throttle to start or it wouldn't start!!! 😢