Sign in to follow this  

Sticky Clutch.

I just bought a new yz250f, got in about an hour of ridiing on Sunday but that’s it.

When I started it up today. The clutch won't completely disengage. Being that the bike is new I was wondering if this is normal? I got it moving and managed to get it disengaged but several times when pulling the clutch in it would still have some forward push.

When it is working the clutch engages very close to completely open lever so I don't think its a loose linkage, but hey this is my first bike in 15 years what do I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My YZF is the same. If you want to get rid of that problem, you will need a new basket and plates if I remember correctly. If you have the bike on a stand, bike running, clutch lever in and you click into first, the tire will still spin.

Yeah its a problem plagued with all the newer 250 thumpers. There are a couple solutions that people have used and sometimes they work sometimes they dont. One is a washer fix. Another is drilling holes in the basket. You can do a search for this and you will find several threads about it. I have the same issue as most of the other owners and I have yet to do anything about it. Mine seems to go away after I ride and only comeback after oil change, or when its cold.

Yeah, The washer fix had no affect on my bike at all, It might of made the grabbing a little less noticable but it didn't cure the problem. I think its a WR thing only. I purschased some moose friction plates so Ill give you guys the results from those when i put them in. They seem to solve the problem. The stock plates supposedly dont allow enough oil inbetween them and for whatever reason the moose do. We'll See.