Sign in to follow this  

1500 and More Down the Drain

We intended on Racing last Sunday Just Put New EX Valves cleaned up the head ckecked the springs they were within tolerances, put in a new set of rings ran great started 1st. or 2nd. kick beautiful. That is until 1/2 way thru the first moto and BOOM total seizure. It took everything out head, piston, sleeve, rod etc. Just talked to the dealer parts alone are over $1500.00, if SUZ/KAW doesn't want to admit they have a problem with this valve train eveyone is gonna start goin RED or Blue we just can't afford to have this happen, were going to try and see if Suz will stand behind there bike??? And just in case anyone is going to ask we just bought this bike in July it has 6 race dates 4/motos + Practice/ Race Date and 2 Practice days on the engine less than 15-20 hrs. Changed oil + clean filter every ride, oil filter about every 2nd ride. Anyone else had any luck with parts from Suz. not Kaw. 😢🤣 🤣🤣😢 :cry: 😢 :cry:

Yes we did just work on it I took the head to a freind of mine who is a Suzuki Mechanic at one of the dealerships in town, I tore the bike apart and put it all back together properly I might add I'm no expert on 4 strokes but I'm very confident I did everything right, the only thing I would change would to have put new springs in, but as statet they were within spec. I'm sure that the problem was valve float and thats why it dropped a valve. It really is too bad because my son really likes the way this bike rides, it is an 04 we were just trying to finish out the summer racing season untill the 05's came out...

I would hope by 06 the all the bugs have been worked out I'm not trying to bash the yellow bike weve been yellow for quite a while, but I'm not the first blown engine. I know of at least 5 other's in our racing community have experinced the same problem. I'm just wondering if anybody has gotten anything out of suzuki I've heard of Kawasaki stepin up but not Suzuki.

If your gauging spring spec/rate by a free length measurement on this bike with oem springs, you may have just set your self up. Valve float could be a "symptom" of the real problem. There are parts/things I would have changed/done for certain with a valve change, you did not mention. These things require WAY more precision and parts replacement than many mechanics are capable/aware of.

One thing I haven't read anyone talk about in their top end rebuilds is the cam chain replacement. We have quite a few that have stretched anywhere from a 1/2 a tooth to 1 tooth. Keep an eye on this, since the chain is used to time the cams.

If you replaced valves why didn't you replace the springs, I believe they are only 8 dollars. Did you do a valve job at the same time? Heard that if the seats are not cut on a very good machine then the valve will not contact the seat squarly and all hell will break loose very fast.

I did order springs but the ones they sent were the wrong part same part # I don't know how this occured except to say that all this stuff is mass prodeuced. We did check the free length spec on the springs and they were within tolc. so to make the race we went with the orininal springs, seats were checked and cleaned up with the diamond cutter. I had planned on changing the springs after the race when the correct ones came in never got that chance...Before everyone starts picking this apart we have been racing for a couple of years and I believe that if you don't pull the proper maintenence things will fail and then it's all on the owner not the bike, hence why do you think I pulled the head to begin with the valves had tightened up and I wanted to see what was going on instaed off just shimming them blind, hindsight is always the best teacher but like I said this bike is virtully new it's not ridden on the rev limiter and it shouldn't have failed. This is our first 4-Stroke and doing the head job took awile so I could be sure it went back together properly, maybe I did something wrong I'm not perfect but then again it's not that complicated. I would also say that if this had happened 50-60hrs down the road I would have chalked it up to bad luck and that would have been that. But this is not an isolated occurence and ther is definitely a problem with the valve train. I'll assume the the replies that Goodwill from the factory hasn't happened for any one. Of well theres always hope I should know Mon. or Tues. if they will do anything. Replacing the timing chain did not enter into this because I assumed that after the amount of hours we had on this bike that it should be ok, I know you should never assume anything, but give me a break this chain shouldn't stretch after these amount of HRS.

No need to get defensive 😢, everyone is just asking questions and throwing out ideas. Thats the whole idea of this place you know??

IMO the timing chain should be replaced at every top end interval. It's easy to do and cheap insurance.

You probably should have concentrated more on the intake valves.

We just had a intake valve lock up on us and asked suzuki if they would replace it , they said NO there is no warranty or recall on these bikes YET anyway, there is definitly probs with these bikes but their not owning up to it yet. We had to send our stuff to WMR and exchange the head for a new one they tricked out.

I don't think the factory is going to want to warranty an engine that a person just tore down and replaced a few parts, and then shortly after it had a failure. This makes it look like the engine work was not done properly. Why would it fail with new parts? If put together right, it should have been fine. I am not saying you don't know what you are doing, I am giving the view the factory is going to see. Any factory does not want to cover costs for the average person who messes up his engine by doing something wrong. They can't prove you did nothing wrong. This is a tough spot, if it is obvious what failed was not related to your work, then you might have a chance. But when things break in a moving engine, it can get messy and hide what broke first. So many people are not even having a valve problem, I wonder why high performance engines show so much inconsistency in reliability between users. It doesn't appear to be maintenance or upkeep related.

As Lolley stated, what the factory is going to look at is the fact that the motor was running...you performed maintenance work on the top end...then it blew up.

You would have had a better chance of a claim if the dealer had done the work, but as many of us do our own work, this wasn't the case.

Looking back, you might have waited till you had the correct springs to complete your rebuild.

Hope everything works out, Tdub

"You should come to the blue side of things"

I have been conteplating that one, but this one has to be able to go down the road first. Sure glad that we haven't sold the 2-Stoke yet.

Ive talked with team green, and they have had absolutely no poblems with any of their valve trains. Every 250f I have sold has had no problems. Check your valves every ride and change your oil every two rides. Have had my bike since Jan and have had no problems.

No Offense Kaw. is feeding that line to everyone, Doesn't matter RMZ or KXF they have a problem. This is not a random occurence too many many of them going south to say there isn't a problem..

no they are not feeding that line. i have several 250f out of my shop with no problems. if anyone thinks yamaha is better about warranty they are crazy. yamaha does nothing but point fingers. i have an 05 now but had an 04 with 100+ hrs with no problems. change your riding style it is 4 stroke.

I'll have to beg to differ. In Phoenix, finially a couple of dealers admitted there is a problem, but only because I was trading mine in on blue. I am not a NASA scientist by far, but I do know how to maintenance a bike. I accually enjoy it. I'm tired of reading posts that tell people "there is no problem it's your maintenance" or "you don't know how to ride a four stroke". I think it's great that some aren't having problems 😢 but that doesn't mean that the rest of us are idiots.