Sign in to follow this  

Smokey starting xr426?

When I start my bike up sometimes it smokes worst than a twostroke and other times it is just find. I just had a new topend put in with new valve seals and reshimmed valves. It seems to smoke a lot after I wash it and start it up to dry it off. By the way I have the e-series pipe on it which has disks on it so when the carbon build up on them get wet will this cause smoke when the the carbon and water are mixed and blew out? When the bike warms up the smoke goes away. Im lost. The color of the smoke is blue. 😢

Im doing an oil change tomorrow and lets see if this goes away.

Well I started it up today and it didnt smoke. Guess its just been sitting for a bit. But thinks for the help MAR. 😢

youngGun I have the same problem with mine I've got the 416 kit in it. I guess it's normal 😢 When it's warmed up nothing and starts 1st kick 😢 I've played around with the jetting, adjusted the vavles and still smokes when I 1st fire her up so I gave up until this winter on tear the motor apart. 😢

When you wash it, put a plastic bag over the muffler tip. You might just be getting steam out the back end. Smoking on first start up is good to kill the mosquitoes in your neck of the woods! 😢

You might just be getting steam out the back end.

Corey, Ya just might have something here. 😢.......I always put the butt plug in the exhaust tip, but i know I have a leak by the clamp on my slip on after the header I betcha I'm getting water in there after power washing. Thanks 😢 been meaning to fix it just wasn't one of my priority's. Just have to make one and see what happens 😢

If you have a leak there, just don't concentrate the water in that area.

Pressure washing? I hope not too close. It'll peel stickers off!

Well I changed the oil today and when I started it, it didnt smoke so I dont know. LOL I was out riding and no smoke. It was pretty good till my dang clutch cable snapped going down a hill that is like straight down and my motor stopped and I skidded the whole way down. Pretty scary. Thats my Halloween fright. 😢 Since we cant have halloween on sunday down here. 😢

My 426 (replaced all seals, as well) did smoke once.

I think its the crappy pump gas getting built up in the cylinder and sitting there. I know it cant be oil. It only did it once, and stops quickly.

younggun, Is it really smoke? or seam or water vapor?

if it(smoke) dissappears it is water. if it forms a cloud and sticks around and smells bad it is smoke.

I have experienced this when it is raining or damp out or have washed the bike.

Come to think about it, it is prob just water vapor since it really does it after I wash it. Also since it is the disk setup water can prob get in it from the top. Its pretty humid down here and this could be a factor. Thanks 😢

Pressure washing? I hope not too close

Corey

When I pressure wash I use the wide spray nozzle so not to concentrate in one area but I,m sure some is getting in there, not anymore though fixed it with foil tape where the header and slip on doesnt fit quite right 😢

Mine did that,it turned out it was fine sand getting through a loose fitting clamp on the intake.If it is not water related you might check your air filter to make sure it is clean,then the crankcase ventilation system for obstructions,then make sure the oil level is correct.If all this checks out fine it might be a little more involved.

I had a little too much oil in it so that may of been a prob. I have done another oil change since then with the correct amount of oil and it has been smoke free since. Now I need to wash and see if that is what is making the smoke.

Whats wrong with a bit of water getting in the muffler anyway?

Its only going to evaporate shortly after you start it.

When I wash my XR4, Im sure a fair bit of water gets in my muffler! But its just going to evaporate.

So whats the big deal? 😢

Not having a go at anyone! Just curious.

But I spose you dont want water to get in their, because its not suposto?

I never plug the hole. I dont spray right at it, either, but I know water gets in there.

I start the bike when I'm done, so I dont see a problem.