Sign in to follow this  

Water in my engine oil overflow/drain tube???? Why and How?

I guess that is what you call that tube. The one that from the valve cover (I think) that is kinda pinkish-clear, with a stopper in the end, that ends near the rear shock. I assume its purpose is to allow you to see and drain excess oil that comes from the engine. But mine had about 1 1/2" of the end filled with clean looking water!!!??? My bike only has 4 hours on it and never ridden in wet conditions. I did wash it a couple times, but I can't figure how that water got in there?! And it seems like A LOT to be just condensation from riding. Any ideas?

the water is a result of condensation and is normal. mine seems to accumulate more water during the winter months.

Your valve train pulls the humidity out of the air as the motor runs and the vent tube is there to collect it so the water doesn't stay in the motor. Your manual talks about this. You need to pull the stopper and drain the water off as it accumulates. 😢

I drain mine with each oil change...

Ok. Thanks for the reassurance. I figured it was condensation, but it just seemed like a lot of water for the little time I put on it so far. But, then again, it has been cool-hot-cold-warm weather lately. Maybe that had something to do with it. And yeah, I drained it right away.