Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Kickstand Review

After replacing numerious kinkstand bolts on my old 520 and going for extended periods with no kickstand at all I finally broke down and won an after market kickstand replacement. 🤣😢 :cry: 😢 :cry:

I did the Reno 200 dual-sport ride a few weeks ago and at the banquet won a Trail Tech kickstand for the KTM. I finally got around to installing the thing tonight. The instuctions say it takes 5 minutes to install. But, they add, "***KTM EXC's prior to 2002 require minor modifications for fitment." I figured my 520 is an 02 so this shouldn't be an issue. As it turns out, I did need to make a minor modification. There was a little metal tab welded to the frame that interfered with fitting the new mounting bracket to the frame. Not a big deal. I took a pair of vice grips to it and a couple of bends later it broke right off. After that, the mounting bracket mounted right up. So a five minute installation turned out to be a minute or two longer.

The sturdyness of the replacement mounting bracket that the kickstand attaches to is evident. The vendor claims that it is strong enough that you can sit on the bike while it is on the kickstand to start the bike. With an electric start, I can see no reason to ever need to do that.

Is there a down side? Well maybe. It is quite a bit heavier than the stock setup or no kickstand at all. I didn't weigh it but, holding the mounting bracket in my hand it felt pretty beefy. The beefyness inspirers confidence that it will hold up as advertised. But, if weight is an issue you may not like it.

The quality fit and finish of the manufactured parts appears to be very good. After installation the bike rest very well on it.

The spring works very well and the kickstand when in the up position is appears to be about the same as the stocker. However, the rubber band fastener that comes stock on the bike needs to be stretched quite a bit harder to fit over the kickstand in the up position. Getting it off wasn't that hard but, when putting it on you are really stretching it out to get it over the end of the kickstand. As the rubber ages and deteriates I could easily see it breaking while trying to stretch it over the stand.

I tried leaving the rubber band off and bounced the bike to see how much the kickstand would respond to moderate to hard riding. It does bounce down. I don't think it would do it enough to go all the way down but if you are riding hard it might be a problem. So, the rubber fastener is advised I think.

Tomorrow, I am going on a ride. It will be forest single track and fireroads. I'll post an update after tomorrows ride. I'll try leaving the rubber fastener off over some rough sections to see how well the kickstand does without the fastener and report back.

😢

Paul

I bought the replacement leg and bolt only to mount up to my stock location.

They claim it's one inch longer.....?&%$#@!? It was the same size as my 04's, but looked like polished alum.

Stronger............? I dunno. But sure as hell not an inch longer! 😢

I bought the replacement leg and bolt only to mount up to my stock location.

They claim it's one inch longer.....?&%$#@!? It was the same size as my 04's, but looked like polished alum.

Stronger............? I dunno. But sure as hell not an inch longer! 😢

Interesting. 😢 Nothing on the box or instructions that came with it made any mention of the length. After reading this, I went out to the garage and placed the stock stand side by side with the Trail Tech. The stocker has a slightly different bend than the Trail Tech but they do appear to be roughly the same size.

I just got home from a very long day on the trails. Lots of mud, snow, bone chilling cold water puddles with just enough mixture of perfect conditions to make the ride very fun. I did not use the rubber band to hold the stand up all day. It worked great. We did have some very fast sections with lots of water bars to jump. The kick stand did great. I never even noticed it there so I guess my concern about it flopping around under heavy load was unfounded. My buddy Dan who is a 300 pounder stood on the left peg and bounced up and down. The kick stand held up and did not break! That is not something I would normally do but it did convince him as well as myself of the ruggedness of this set up.

I am not claiming that this stand is better than any other after market replacement kick stand. It is the only one I have tried. But, it looks like it's a keeper so far. If anything changes, I'll be sure to post an update.

On a scale of 1 to 10 here is my grading.

Cost ------ N/A since I didn't buy it and have no idea how much it cost.

Ease of Installation --------- 10

Fit and finish -------- 8.5 to 9

Durability --------- 10 so far.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to fire away. My bike is totally covered in mud right now but if you would like to see a picture let me know and I'll post one as soon as possible.

😢

Paul

They claimed and inch longer right out of their catalog. That's the only reason I bought it, as most KTM's lean over way to far, especially on the trail when the kicker sinks into the soil a little.

Jeff, I looked at my KTM again and paid attention to the lean angle when it is on the kickstand. The lean angle is not that great. In comparison, my WR and my Suzuki both have a greater lean angle while on their stands. Then I got to thinking, maybe it isn't the stand itself but the mount. With the lean angle on my 520 the way it is now, if the stand was an inch longer it would be too much I think. Hang on, I'll go snap a picture of the dang thing so you can see for yourself. Just excuse the dirty bike as I haven't cleaned it yet. 😢

Well my wife has done something with the card reader and I can't find it. 😢 Oh well, I'll clean the bike and wait for her to get home. I'll post pictures later.

Paul

the rubber band fastener that comes stock on the bike needs to be stretched quite a bit harder to fit over the kickstand in the up position. Getting it off wasn't that hard but, when putting it on you are really stretching it out to get it over the end of the kickstand. As the rubber ages and deteriates I could easily see it breaking while trying to stretch it over the stand.

Paul - simply get one of the rubber fasteners for the battery. It is exactly like the kickstand fastener, except it is ~3/4" longer (at least on my '02). But the best solution of all is to get Vintage Speedy's centerstand kit which fits, I believe, '03s and older. It doesn't seem to be much heavier than the stock kickstand. Then you can check and change your oil, adjust your chain, etc., and even sit on your bike while it is on the centerstand without worry. I never lift my bike up onto a crate anymore either. 😢