Sign in to follow this  

Whip it

I hate to dork this up, but are there any engineers out there how could post a free body diagram of the physics behind a whip it? I see all these picks and watch the big boys at the track and I can't see what forces move the bike and rider around like this!

If I knew how to whip I might try it, but I don't think a simple fbd would cover it. There's some gyroscopic effect there as well. Right hand rule and all. You're also dealing with a dynamic event so shock rebound, balanced body position, etc comes into play. It would take several fbd's, because apparently you apply different forces at different times during the whip cycle.

alright dude, if you don't know how to do a whip i don't think you should be tryin one. you just want to look cool doin it don't yah. well the combo of leaning on the face of the jump and moving your off to the side and forward will make the back end "whip". go to my thread, search for "how to whip" its by tricksta, i got alot of good info.

I don't think I will ever try a whip it, I am just curious as to what forces alow the bike to go through such anglular changes, and then reverse them.

alright dude, if you don't know how to do a whip i don't think you should be tryin one. you just want to look cool doin it don't yah.

I wasn't saying I would try a whip, I was saying that if I DID know how to whip, I'd try to draw a free body diagram for him. I WILL be tryin' a whip someday, and yeah, because I think it'd be cool. Why ELSE would you try it, doofus? 😢

a whip is an advanced manuever. it's not like on a video game where somebody can tell you "just pull back and hit CIRCLE-CIRCLE-SQUARE" and you'll do it. you really have to know what you're doing or you're going to get hurt.

when you're comfortable and confident enough to understand them, you'll just start to understand them. simple as that. nobody who isn't skilled enough to do a whip is ever going to learn one.

just ride and ride and ride and then ride some more, get used to your bike and don't be in a rush to learn tricks that are beyond your ability. if spend enough time on your bike, it will come.

and you won't need any stupid scientific diagram either! 😢

I honestly don't find it that hard. Like everyone says, once you get the confidence to do it, just do it.

The best way I've found to do it is to:

1: Find a jump you are comfortable with

2: When I do a good whip I sit down on the face of the face of the jump like you are seat hopping it

3: You need to know which direction you want to whip it also. If you want the back end to go out to the right, hit the face on the right side.

4: On the face of the jump just as you get close to the top, start to turn the bike ever so slightly in the opposite direction you want to whip it (back end out to the right = turn left)and lean into it.

5: When you are in the air, keep leaning into and just be sure to get it back in time to land straight.

If ya can do that you will have your drainplug pointing to the sky before ya know it 😢