Sign in to follow this  

New MXA ...valve question??

Did anyone see the question in the "Ask the experts" section of the Dec MXA? Someone asked a CRF valve question. It was fairly obvious it was a TT member because of how well written the question was.

MXA gave a very generic response.....13,500, reshimming will be needed,wear will occur, deal with it!

It is worth reading for a good laugh. It looks like MXA and many of the other magazines ae afraid to acknowledge the internet or TT. Dont buy the magazine of you can helpit. It is far better to read it and set it back on the magazine rack.

I would nokt be surprised if that magazine is on Hondas pay role lol.

A similarly asked question (maybe from a TT'er) asked about a RMZ250 valves, but they said buy procircuits valve springs..

what gives?!

I get the feeling that MXA is not allowed to mention a problem with any motorcycle unless the problem has been solved. They are also deathly afraid of the internet displacing them as the self-imposed "number one source".

This months issue is a riot. It is very thick, so you buy it.

Once your readin it a person notices that there is very little actual content. The thickness comes from a GIANT O'Neal catalogue. The bike tests are very weak. It looks like a cut and paste job from last years test.

I hope Jimmy Lewis fixes dirt rider. It is too hard to lug the full computer into the can.

Transworld motocross is an excellent magazine. MXA seems to be very bias. But i think some of there stuff is excellent as well. Most motorcycle mags are all advertising anyways. I like em all personally. Some are just better than others. They do tell it like it is.

I hope Jimmy Lewis fixes dirt rider. It is too hard to lug the full computer into the can.

Wait till you see what Jimmy has in store for Dirt Rider. I've seen some of it and Jody is going to wet himself, and so will the OEMs. 😢 What I've seen looks to be a readers first advertisers second approach and it's refreshing.

Lets see the new December Dirt Rider..142 full pages of ads. Thats not counting the half page ads.

DaveH250

I saw in a issue of Dirt Bike recently where they tested a big TM four stroke. They mentioned thumpertalk in the write up but it was something like ths..."Its not like you can go to ThumperTalk.com and ask thousands of TM owners to help with a problem" Something along those lines. I was actually surprised. TT is BY FAR the best internet dirt bike forum ever. 😢

Thi ssounds great. I swear I will subscribe if they wil make one magazine worth reading. I like Transworld for the entertainment value, but their bike tests are awful. None of them are different. I believe they cut and paste the specific model into identical copy. The tests waste paper and are exciting as a grocery list.

"I get the feeling that MXA is not allowed to mention a problem with any motorcycle unless the problem has been solved. They are also deathly afraid of the internet displacing them as the self-imposed "number one source"."

Actually, MXA had a featurette on a problem the CRF250 is apparently having with cracking cylinder skirts. Didn't seem like a pulled punch to me.

Actually Cycle World is probably the best dirt bike reviewer out there. Too bad they don't do too many of them. I remember when they did the 450 shootout. They disassembled all of the bikes and weighed the frames, engines, wheels, misc parts separately. 😢 They actually weighed the bikes for a true weight comparison, not an estimate. Then they did a ride comparison etc. They also dynoed all the bikes. When was the last time you saw dirt bike, dirt rider, transworld, motocross action, or any other dirtbike mag do a review like that. It is sad when basically a street bike mag does a better job reviewing dirt bikes than the dirt bike mags 😢

It's pretty common knowledge that MXA and Pro Circuit are in bed together. Jody Weisel and Mitch Payton started out thirty years ago as young guys trying to build their businesses in So. Cal and together have done just that. They both have grown over the last quarter century by washing each others backs. I have even heard that they are part owners of each others companies. Just look in any MXA and you can see the Pro Circuit Bias. Every new product, every bike test, everey picture of a pro circuit logo possible, no company could afford that much exposer at the regular card rates. Just be aware, what you see in the old leader of the magazine wars may not be as obgective as we might like it to be. 😢

It's pretty common knowledge that MXA and Pro Circuit are in bed together. Jody Weisel and Mitch Payton started out thirty years ago as young guys trying to build their businesses in So. Cal and together have done just that. They both have grown over the last quarter century by washing each others backs. I have even heard that they are part owners of each others companies. Just look in any MXA and you can see the Pro Circuit Bias. Every new product, every bike test, everey picture of a pro circuit logo possible, no company could afford that much exposer at the regular card rates. Just be aware, what you see in the old leader of the magazine wars may not be as obgective as we might like it to be. 😢

TOTAL BS........I've known Mitch and Jody since day one. Mitch has done an amazing job of being at the forefront of motocross racing, engine development, and just plain helping guys when there was nothing in it for him. He works at it, and is there late every night. He was also the first company to begin using a dyno to develop his stuff, back when MC was ridin' a CR 125, and gave access to the equipment to the mags, and the manufacturers before they had their own facilitys. He Does bikes and engine mods for ALL of the magazines, and ALL of the manufacturers. They all owe Mitch a debt of gratitude, for one point in time or another, because no one else was doin' it! They wouldn't take their stuff there if what you suggest were true. It seems like Dirt Rider has more stuff going on at PC, than MXA. The motorcycle industry is headquartered in So Cal. The main guys from Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM, Yamaha, and Honda, can be seen at PC every day, as well as the editors and writers from every magazine. Pro Circuit makes them all welcome, and helps them equally with all of their "Projects". Jody, as well as all the other magazine types are smart to hang, and associate themselves with a company that is truly and integral part of the sport. What gets written by these guys is what most of you feed on, so you had better hope they learn something from Mitch, Bones, Dave, and the whole crew at Pro Circuit.....I'm proud of what they accomplish, and the help they give to our sport.

Actually Cycle World is probably the best dirt bike reviewer out there.

That's due in large part to the fact that they had Jimmy Lewis doing the reviews. Jimmy recently left Cycle World and is taking the helm at Dirt Rider magazine. 😢 With Ken Faught and his buddies out of the picture Dirt Rider has a chance to be a good magazine again. Jimmy has a tough road ahead but I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the mag.

All of the baggin' and moanin' going on and I haven't heard a word about Dirt Bike Magazine. What's up with that?

They are so screwed up, I think they're letting thier kids write and edit the magazine. This year alone they have condoned sabotage against construction equipment and made other disparaging and irresponsible toward many different camps. And their editing has been horrible with mispellings and misnumbered pages. Their table of contents is useless because the page numbers are rarely right. And I haven't even touched upon their content.

What do you think of their tests and reviews?

I am letting my subscription to dirt bike expire. Its embarassing to buy a magazine and have it contain spelling errors. I couldn't believe the construction equipment thing either (for those of you who don't know, they basically tell you how to destroy heavy equipment). What a childish and irresponsible thing to put in a magazine.

You guys are missing an important point....

Magazines... and test rides...and internet forums.... are just like opinions/a**holes... everybody got's one! 😢

You just need to remember that they are *all* information sources! Some will be better than others, some will slant x story one way, some will simply cut-n-paste from another info source.

It's just like our little TT... we have some acknowledged experts in "x" field, we have a bunch of very experienced dirt bike riders/tuners, and we have a bunch of total newbies or "...I just heard from...." copiers.

Just as there are excellent dealers/service departments out there who will tell you the truth to the best of their ability/knowledge. As there are dealers/etc. who will lie straight to your face, or couldn't locate their a** if it had a bell attached to it...

Net-Net: it's all information... you just have to watch for the experts input --- AND/OR --- a proven solution proven by many riders/miles. And even then - motorcycles can be quite individual when it comes to wear-n-tear and riding conditions/areas. As are owner's skills and experience.

Eventually the true fault/solutions prove out... and sometimes it takes a fair amount of time with a couple of dead-end trips.

Just remember - if you're busy huckin' rocks -- you're not listenin' and learnin' ..... 😢

Personally, I put myself in this category:

😢🤣😢🤣😢

Cheers! - RandyB

p.s. Best of luck to Jimmie Lewis and his new challenge!