Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Question - is it burnt out?

It's not my YZ250F, but my son's '04 KX85. It doesn't move when you put it in gear. It acts like the clutch is pulled in, however it's not. It appears to be stuck. Can someone give me some ideas as to what this might be? Is this normal for a burnt out clutch?

Usually when the clutch is burned out the bike will still move or attempt to move but slip.

Does the lever feel normal? I wonder if there is something that is keeping the clutch from compressing together? Stuck actuator, etc. 😢

I was racing a hare scramble once and jumped and landed on a log in 4th gear and broke my gear lever off. I had to ride the rst of the lap back to the pits abusing my clutch with only 4th gear. about a kilometer from the pits my bike lost all drive. I had cooked the clutch plates good, the bike was in gear but had no drive thru the clutch at all.... Drain the gear box oil because if you've done this you will be able to tell by the burn't smell of the oil and there will be black flecks of clutch friction material in there.

I went through this exact same thing this summer for the first time. It does sound as if your clutch is burnt out. I fried my 250F by feathering the clutch 2-stroke style. I guess I learned the hard way that it is not an acceptable pratice on a 4-stroke.

If you want to check out my thread go here...

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB10&Number=1288818&Forum=All_Forums&Words=21631&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1287557&Search=true#Post1288818

Grooves in the tabs of the basket keep the plates from separating. This causes the bike to lurch. If the friction material is burned off of the plates, the bike does not want to move forward.