Sign in to follow this  

heli-coil

ok i got a 04 yz 250f and about 5 months ago snaped the top right bolt for the oil filter cover. we got it out and me and my dad rethread it. its been holding up but now im getting back on the bike for the first time in 3 months since i got hurt.

but now i see that it is leaking oil. so can you heli - coil the top right bolt for the oilfilter cover and is there enough meat on the casting to heli-coil. also is there a special kit for our bikes.

my dad is a metal fabercater and sheet metal guy so he nows what hes doing with it.

thanks mike sorry for the long post

idk y u wouldnt be able 2. just make sure theres enough room for the heli coil and put it in. u can buy helicoil kits in different sizes depending on the bolt size. good luck 😢

That bolt is not normally exposed to oil. One thing could be that the engine cover gasket is split around that bolt, allowing oil from around the primary gears to enter the bore the bolt runs through. If the oil filter cover leaks in this area, it is probably due to one of the O rings under the cover being mislocated, and/or damaged, unless the cover itself is very loose, or not evenly tightened.

If you don't snug up the cover evenly before the bolts are tightened down, things like this are easily bent or even cracked.

I agree with barton. Timeserts are awesome. I use them on my small block chevy motors plus a ton of different other applications. THey are really strong and aside from the diffrent color in the metals u cant even tell anythings different. Would highley advise using these over heli coils.