Oakwood arena - what's it like?

Been going there to watch for about 3 years, but will be sponsoring the grandson (6 yrs old on an XR50) and we did the practice last saturday, we will show up only on sunday to race now. His first race will be the 7th on Nov. Its $30 for practice, no admission. Sunday race is $25, but there is admission on top. Its like arena cross, has jumps, straights, doubles, bermed turns. Lots of fun, real close to my house too. Kids race till noon, then they arer all done and the big gus run till about 6pm, the big guys are fun to watch. They do quads too and its real competitive. Real relaxed, walk into pit area. Its a horse arean. They do flat track during the summer there and also horse shows, its busy! Hey, look for a little kid on an 03 XR50 #59, you'll see a guy about 6'0" tall, brown hair, beard in a black Carhartt® coat hanging around him, stop by and say hello, that would be me. I'll spectate after he is done till the final rounds. Oh, if you have family/spectators, tell them they will want a Mr Heater, its chili in the stands this time. They sell food there too, real good prices compared! ? See ya there

Thanks for the info.. sounds great. I will definately be there saturday for practice, then maybe sunday if the track is cool and I can get away from work.

If I see you sunday I'll be the 6'6" guy (also bearded at the moment ? ) on the CRF250. I will say hi, cya there

Hey one question - do they run classes? Or is it just "all big bikes, go"?

How big is the arena approx? LxW? That will probably be a frequent stop for me and the boy(8yrs old). We'll have to check it out as it appears to be pretty close to my commute route. I've got a deal going with my son that if he continues to read every day and improve his school work, and also start wearing his helmet every time he rides his bicycle then he'll have a bike by Chistmas. My dad has two 1980 RM80's(one complete, one parts) that need some work, but will make a nice little ride for my boy. The complete one is the same bike that I learned on. It'll be a pain in the ass for him at first, but he'll make it. ?

If I see you sunday I'll be the 6'6" guy (also bearded at the moment ? ) on the CRF250. I will say hi, cya there

Hey one question - do they run classes? Or is it just "all big bikes, go"?

Cool molotov, we'll be looking for you. At 6'6", should be easy to spot ?

Yes, they run clases. During practice, they will also break them into groups, it goes little guys on the smaller 50 cc, followed by the faster 50 cc ie KTM's then 80-100, then 125's, then the bigger guns ride, ie 125cc to 450's, but in their respective groups, then the quads follow. Usually little bikes, then little quads, then big bikes, then big quads. On Saturday during practice, its almost identical to racing except they will not all take off at the same time, they do it sequentially, and of course, everyone isnt trying to pass quite as hard like the real race. Very freindly! ANd during practice, as soon as your done, you can go right to the back and ride again. Do this till 7PM in the evening. Many just ride on practice day and never races, others do both, others do only sunday. Its an outlaw track, so AMA membership isnt required. Thye do trophies etc. And they are pretty good about seeing to it most of the little guys gets a good chance for a trophy.

How big is the arena approx? LxW? That will probably be a frequent stop for me and the boy(8yrs old). We'll have to check it out as it appears to be pretty close to my commute route. I've got a deal going with my son that if he continues to read every day and improve his school work, and also start wearing his helmet every time he rides his bicycle then he'll have a bike by Chistmas. My dad has two 1980 RM80's(one complete, one parts) that need some work, but will make a nice little ride for my boy. The complete one is the same bike that I learned on. It'll be a pain in the ass for him at first, but he'll make it. ?

Wow,m trying to visualize the size, its pretty big, (I'm guessing 60X120, all inside, so rain isnt an issue. Eric, its real close to your new location, in fact, during the summer, they have a series of races and some are held out in Rainier in your town. There is a small dirt oval there, real nice, but they dont change it, its just an oval for flat track.

I haven't been there in a couple of years but it used to be a ball. It gets pretty cold in there though!

It might be a big barn but it's pretty small to have motorcycle races in. That little track feels like it takes 15 seconds to ride around. Nice, relaxed fun racing.

Have fun.

From what I remember, it's defenatly bigger than RMC. Maybe 1.5x bigger? There seems to be a lot of interest in Oakwood recently. I have some video I took there. If someone has the equipment to put it on a computer, it shows the track pretty well.

Jeremy

Yes, they run clases. During practice, they will also break them into groups, it goes little guys on the smaller 50 cc, followed by the faster 50 cc ie KTM's then 80-100, then 125's, then the bigger guns ride, ie 125cc to 450's.

By 125's do you mean TTR, KLX, DRZ etc...

good because i'd heard that if i went i'd have to run with the 85's. Is their any age restrictions on the TTR class? i've seen alot of places where anyone over 13 was in the adult class. which screws me out of a fair race in most places because im 14

OK, be there tomrrow (7th) with the grandson (03 XR50 #59), say hello if you see me! Anyone else going? ?

Hey man, couldn't get away from work today. I went to the practice yesterday though, had alot of fun. Really cool beginner track if anyone else wants to go - bigger than any other indoor tracks that I've seen around here. Lots of table tops and nothing that was tricky.

Real busy, though.. and someone told me that yesterday wasnt nearly as crowded as it usually gets. hehe

Let me know how your grandson does ?

Yes, saturday is the best for getting lots of seat time riding. And yes, Sunday was light compared. I dont know why ? As for the grandson, the last race, he pulled up on the bars to lift the front end up over the little bump in the straight and his hand slipped off. He was assisted, got his bike back up and back in, only fell to 5th place then. After one more lap, he "pull out", I ran out to the pits and asked him what he was doing ?. He had a mouth full of dirt and figured he could get cleaned up and resume riding. I told him there is only 2 reason you leave the track, 1) the bike is broke 2) the rider is broke and there was no getting back in once you pull out! So he got a DNF and I know he will never do that again! ? I was a little upset, but hid it. I dont want to turn this into a job, its just fun and if the fun goes away... Well, it becomes a job. So I will avoid that. He did get a participation award, it was cheezy, but to him, it appeared 30' tall! So next time, we'll do it again. I ran him in the XR50 stock class, but should of ran him in several class for more riding time.

at least you guys had fun, and seat time is seat time - he learned a lesson, got to ride, and had fun so that's all that matters ? Hey and if the award boosts his confidence - great. Confidence seems to matter more than anything else out there.

Anyway thanks for the update, and chat with you again in a couple weeks. Maybe I can get away from work next time and make it to the race.