Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Tank rubber strap

So I pulled my tank out of my 05 today,to put on a GPR, The strap at the rear of tank that holds it in place,Its pull tab is on the bottom!! The metal pieces are at the wrong ends. Any body else have this happen? usually ya grab the tab, pull up and release the connecting loop from the tank. mines at the bottom,you would have to pull it down and remove from the bottom. My hands dont even come close to fittin between the tank an airbox. 😢

My 05 was on right but the tank bolt and spacer was in the air cleaner box. found it when I removed the filter thought I was gona have tobuy a bolt and spacer.

That's funny you mention it. My '05 is the same way. This is my first CRF, so I just thought that is the way it was supposed to be. Yes, it is kinda hard to get off with the pull tab on the bottom. I just stretch it downward while grabbing the tab, and with my other hand, stick a finger under the tank flap, from the left side of the rear of the tank, and unhook the bottom metal clip. Yeah, I too, thought it would make more sense to have the tab on the upper end, so you could unhook it from the tank! So, previous year model's have the tab on top??? I haven't looked really close, but I didn't see where I might be able to open the rings up and switch ends, and bend 'em back....I look tomorrow. 😢

My 05 was on right but the tank bolt and spacer was in the air cleaner box. found it when I removed the filter thought I was gona have tobuy a bolt and spacer.

That's funny, similar thing happened to mine. I found my spacer but lost the the bolt so I had to buy a new one. I guess everyone should check theirs to make sure it's tight.

Was your strap above or below the rubber flap that attaches to the airbox? Mine was below the strap. Seemed odd.

the rubber flap is connected to the airbox,so it has to be on top,,,just the rubber strap holding the tank is wrong,,,,in my opinion

That's funny you mention it. My '05 is the same way.

Sounds like they didn't have the heart to fire the engineer who designed the airbox, instead they demoted him to 'gas tank installer' on the assembly line 😢

I haven't looked really close, but I didn't see where I might be able to open the rings up and switch ends, and bend 'em back....I look tomorrow. 😢

OK, it was an easy fix. Remove your tank strap. Grease up one side of each metal ring. Coax the rubber around and out of the way of the factory "weld". I used a pair of channel lock side cutters and split the "weld". Seperate each ring a little. Just enough to slide the rubber out of the ring. Trade ends, so that the pull tab is on the tank ring end, and install the rings. Rotate the rubber around the side of each ring and bend (with a pair of channel locks) the rings back to where they are held together by a slight spring tension. Slip the rings back into postion, clean up the grease, and whola! Much easier to take the tank off now! Oh, and don't forget to put the stainless steel cable back on the rings (not that I forgot it the first time 😢). Pretty easy fix. Yeah, you won't have that "weld" inside the rubber, but I don't see that making any difference. I don't think it will come off, even if you crash down a huge cliff! 😢