Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a Roger DeCoster photo/poster...

After checking with Chiefan, I've decided to ask the entire TT crew. I'm looking for a photo or poster that that comes with this story...

I believe it was at Carlsbad back when Roger DeCoster was riding for Suzuki. Roger came into the pits complaining that his clutch was slipping during practice. The mechanics went over his bike and found nothing wrong. They told Roger to go out again to see if the clutch still slipped. Yep, it still slips. The mechanics tear into the bike again, and again find nothing wrong. The puzzled mechanics then ask Roger, "Can you tell us where you are on the track when you notice the clutch slipping?" Roger tells them it is in a hard left-hand corner. The mechanics ask Roger to go out and ride again, this time they will watch as he rides through that corner.

The photo reveals what the Suzuki mechanics saw - Roger DeCoster railing his factory racebike through a berm that had built up against a trackside Bel-Ray banner - and cornering so low that the left end of his handlebar - and his clutch lever - were dragging on the ground!

I believe Bel-Ray turned the photo into a poster and I would love to find one. It is a great photo with a great story behind it.

Thanks!

Dan.

Good luck capt. I have been looking for that (wrote to Brad Lackey and Super Hunky, both replied but, neither could help) and another poster from the series that Popular Cycling put out "back in the day". The other poster was of a guy on a CZ at the top of the uphill at Carlsbad. I know the guy on the CZ, called him a few years ago and he had given out all of "his" posters, over the years.

If ya find any, buy two and give me a call 😢

Bill

😢 :cry: 😢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

O.K.,, now ya got me diggi'n into a whole nother box and I found some older $h!t I didn't remember I had. 😢

Roger_Cross_Up_01.jpg

No,,,,, That's not even close.

Roger_MXA_1975ROY_01.jpg

Uhm,,,,,,,no,,,,that's not it either,,,,

Dirt_Bike_73_Hang_Ten_USGP_01.jpg

Well,,,,, meybe there's something in here,,,,,,

Roger_USGP_1973_01.jpg

Ohh,,,,, sorry. I know that's not what your talking about, but it's close! 😢

Roger_USGP_1973_01.jpg

HOLY CRAP 😢🤣

I don't think I've ever seen a modern mx'r go completely horizontal...(course i don't read that many mags...ok, none...)

Hmm, think he's movin??? 😢 :cry: 😢

🤣 🤣 😢

You wrote to SuperHunky ? Is that old coot still around?I thought he moved to Mexico? That guy wrote the coolest stories. 😢

You wrote to SuperHunky ? Is that old coot still around?I thought he moved to Mexico? That guy wrote the coolest stories. 😢

I believe he had a stroke or heart attack not that long ago. He does have a web site if you do a search.

😢 :cry: 😢,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

O.K.,, now ya got me diggi'n into a whole nother box and I found some older $h!t I didn't remember I had. 😢

Roger_USGP_1973_01.jpg

Ohh,,,,, sorry. I know that's not what your talking about, but it's close! 🤣

AWESOME shots, all! The last photo is close, but...

What is cool about the photo I am looking for is that the clutch lever is carving a groove in the soft dirt - literally leaving a wake! And Roger was doing this lap after lap. I'm glad some of you guys remember that photo. Man, those were magical times, with those exotic factory bikes... 😢

Dan.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but in the shot you speak of wasn't there like 2 blades of straw stuck to his clutch lever from dragging on the ground?

Yeah, I'd like to see it too.

Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but in the shot you speak of wasn't there like 2 blades of straw stuck to his clutch lever from dragging on the ground?

Ooh, perhaps... I can't recall...

I just hope one shows up!

Dan.

A few years ago repros of that poster were available, I believe, thru AMS Racing; a vintage supplier in AZ. Call Dave and see if he knows where to get one.

I think it's long sold-out. That was the last place I saw it.