Sign in to follow this  

Valve train

Is every one that is tearing down their motors using assembly lube when they put it back together? What about the 104 INCH pounds of torque. And is every one using the right type of oil in their bikes.?

More than likely not.. Oil that is. Most are more than likely running mobil 1 from auto zone. Motorcycle and Car oil are different. They have different additives.

" What about the 104 INCH pounds of torque. And is every one using the right type of oil in their bikes.?

104in# is too tight on the cam caps try 80-84 I use good oil but I also change it every ride so it really wouldn't be a factor...

is the torque specs on those 2 allen head bolts very important when puting the valve cover back on? I checked my valves and when putting that cap back on, just tightened it down "pretty good" Didnt have torque wrench. Does it effect anything ?? Or is it just a cover?

The manual says to use molybdenum disulfide oil, which is assembly lube, to the cam and cam journals when you reinstall, I think I might have made a mistake using only regular Castrol in ours but I cahnged it all the time. Every one needs to run the correct oil in these four strokes to keep them from siezing. WMR recommends mobil 1 MX4T. I think the assembly lube will help when the motor hasnt any oil flowing through it yet.😢

The 2 Allen bolts are just holding the valve cover it's self, it's the cam cap bolts that are shown in the book @ 104 in# thats a little to excesive I was told by the dealer to just go 80 in#. Just what I was told...

Try this site online conversion if you are not familiar at converting units. Or you can take the time to learn. .67 foot-pounds is 8 inch-pounds.

I'm using the Shell Rotella T fully synthetic,no problems with the bike.Bought Dec.03