Sign in to follow this  

xr100 not running so good

as yous know i got a 1991 xr100 and it seems that there is a problem with either to carb or the ign. It runs but there is a low end bog if u turn the choke off it kills the engine to the the point it stalls but if you leave the choke on it runs ok but to rich. I cleaned the carb all new gaskets, new rings, lapped the valves, new timing gears and chain, it also has good compression. Also when the rmps get to about 800 rpm it falls on its face and just dies like it losses spark. I have a 1999 that runs the same way with the bog but it is not as bad, is this common? i can jet the 1999 so it don't bog but then it is to rich up top. I also raised the needle all the way and it still has that bad bog. 😢

Clean the carb. Replace the main and pilot jets. Replace the needle and seat. Set the carb to stock settings, then see what you get. After almost 14 yrs, and tweaking by who knows who, it time to reset the carb!

Robert 😢

Yes. I think the pilot is clogged and the main is opened up from years of cleaning.

Robert 😢

the pilot it clean, if the main is wore thought it shouldn't bog like it is running lean i could see if it is running rich 😢

i found the problem it was point gap was only about .002 and when i put the timing light on it the mark was off so i set the points and it runs good

Get an old flywheel, strip out the points cam. When to set the timing, remove the flywheel, slide the points ca over the shaft, and set the timing. You dont have to move the crankshaft, just turn the cam to open the points, then set them. Reinstall the flywheel.

Sure beats working through the tiny window in the flywheel, and arguing with the magnets.

Robert 😢

that would have worked good execpt for one seet of points i had them set in less than 5 mins, it wasn't bad 😢