Sign in to follow this  

radiator repair options?

2001 yz250f.

had it for a month.

guy who had it before me trailrode it, and the right radiator is kinda twisted and slightly crushed as result. was fine for a month, now it started leaving a small dripping n the floor where it gets parked.

what are my options for repair?

1) fix it? 😢

-what to use? bars radiator leak stopper (used for cars)would gunk up impeller i would think (although there is a liquid form that is said to "lubricate pump"...???) you just have to ues it in smaller amounts in smaller engines (1/2 bottle to 4 cylinders, so how much to single cylinders the size of my 250f?)

OR 😢

suzuki sells "stop leak" (suzuki brand)

anybody tried it/can vouch it works?

OR 😢

how affordably can this radiator be repaired at a radiator repair shop? is this really even an option in dirt bikes?

2)replace it 😢...at almost $300!?!?! 😢

i found some discount parts direct companies, one would give me the rad (right one, with the cap on it) for $220.

anybody know anwhere cheaper? or any place parting out new bikes cheap?

any help or opinions is appreciated. 🤣

thanks,

racer36 🤣

OH**** i use the bike for motocross. no offroading. (maybe eventually some light trailriding, but no hardcore hs/cross country in mind at all on this thing.)

Also, keep your eyes on ebay and TT(parts for sale). I picked up a radiator for my 99 WR, $300 from Yamaha, for $100. Still smelled brand new. Patched the leak with JB Weld but bike was stolen 😢 before I could install new radiator.

I second what motogyro said. Myler's are fast and cheap. Mine looked like brand new when it came back. For like $45.

Think of this. Does a stop leak know which hole is a leak or not? It'll just start to clog up your system, screw that...

JB weld would probably work, but that Radiator place could be the hot ticket.

dude radiators are to risky to mess with

bite the bullet buy a new one and 2 good rad gaurds so it dont happen again

Not to be rude but that is a stupid statement. Mylers can fix them and they are like new. No need to waste hard earned coin

Not to be rude but that is a stupid statement. Mylers can fix them and they are like new. No need to waste hard earned coin

2 good rad gaurds stupid? 😢

Mylers should be able to fix them, heard good things about their service.

When you get them back make sure you have a set of guards ready to go on.

These are the best Ive seen and he makes them for your bike also.

www.unabiker.com

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 good rad gaurds stupid?

No 2 good rad guards isn't stupid - however it is stupid to spend $300 on a new radiator AND $70+ on rad guards, when you could just spend $40 on repairing said radiator that ISN'T TWEAKED THAT BAD and then getting rad guards...

Myers can repair radiators that are seriously MANGLED!!! which his are not...

Stupid to spend $370 when you could spend $125... 😢 :cry: 😢

you can send a twisted in half, bike went off a cliff and landed in a tree before cartwheeling down into boulder after boulder radiator to Fontana radiator and it will come back looking brand new.

Kritter,

Do you have any contact info/address for Fontana radiator? I'll be needing someones services after todays "incident". Thanks

ok if thats the way you guys feel go the cheap option.

i know a few guys who have had radiatior repairs done none have been happy, one's cap didn't even go back on.

i have a set of Bnb rad gaurds there alloy but there made of 3.5mm thick alloy plate and they don't let rocks through like the unabiker guards do.

if you can source them there awesome.

i'll try and find a pic 😢

Kritter,

Do you have any contact info/address for Fontana radiator? I'll be needing someones services after todays "incident". Thanks

I dont but their is an advertisement in the back of cycle news for them...everybody I race with uses them and swears by them.

I slightly bent my radiator up, and I took it too a local car radiator shop. THey realligned the whole thing and patched up a small whole with what looks like a heavy duty solder ($30.00). Then I went out and picked up some works connection radiator braces to try to prevent the same thing from happening again. Where-ever you go, make sure they pressure test it after they patch it up. I'm sure mylers does this.