Sign in to follow this  

height

So I made it down to the dealer to see if I could sit on a 250f, and it seems I can have one foot on the peg and one on the ground, but my feet balanced out, I come 1 or 2 inches short. If I did end up getting one I would definitely put in lighter fork and shock springs, would that lower the seat height at all?, and I am also considering shaving the seat foam. Lastly, can I raise the forks a bit without affecting handling? 😢 :cry: 😢

you can lower it about 1 inch without any serious problems

but if you are riding trails you will probably want to be able to put both feet down just in case

One foot on the ground is fine. With a little lean, you can always catch yourself, and you're supposed to keep your feet on the pegs when you're moving anyway. I wouldn't give up an inch of travel/ground clearance unless I absolutely HAD to.

So I made it down to the dealer to see if I could sit on a 250f, and it seems I can have one foot on the peg and one on the ground, but my feet balanced out, I come 1 or 2 inches short. If I did end up getting one I would definitely put in lighter fork and shock springs, would that lower the seat height at all?, and I am also considering shaving the seat foam. Lastly, can I raise the forks a bit without affecting handling? 😢 :cry: 😢

How tall are you? Im 5'6.5 and do just fine. my inseam is 29

Yea, im riding strictly mx so I didnt think one foot down would be a problem, im 5'5 and a half, and I figured seeing as my weight is 110 and the stock set up is what? 160-170 lbs?, that It wouldnt sag as much with the stock springs(let alone a brand new bike that hasnt been broken in yet because im planning on buying used) and If I had the suspension set up for my weight with lighter springs it would sag a little more, and I could possibly touch both feet. any thoughts on that? 😢

The most important thing is can you hold it up and start it?

The next issue is can you keep the bike upright on the starting gate? Use can use blocks on the gate, but re-starting it out on the track if you go down has to be done without any help.

Also one thing I forgot to add, they didnt have a 250f on the floor so I was sitting on the '05 125 (awesome bike 😢) They're all 39.7 or whatever inches right?, theres no difference? Anyway, also when I was "sitting" on it one foot on the ground, I didnt really clarify, was more like the ball of my foot, Im pretty sure though that if I was outside with it, and the guy allowed me to start it up that i could have just leaned it over to kick it. But I think that once I get the suspension set up for my weight (lighter springs) it should be fine and if it isnt...w/e ill suck it up and deal w/ it 😢 But still if anyone has any other ideas for lowering feel free to post them 😢 :cry:

You've got it Dr. DirtRider refered to it as raising the steering stem which had the effect of lowering the seat, gas tank and engine cradle.

I'm looking forward to handling change and being able to touch down easier.

I've been running my sag at 100 - 102mm for touching the ground but the bike runs much better at 98mm. I also run my forks at 10mm up in an effort to turn quickly and lower the bike. 😢

I being of the shorter side of life (5'5) have been dying for the 05wr250's to come out. Well yesterday, I went and sized one up ......Oh yea I can fit better on that then on my ttr250. Oh I cant wait. !!

Ok, so lighter springs, raise the forks a bit.. and if i do decide to get it lowered an inch by a suspension shop, how much would that cost?

ok then I think im gonna stick w/ lighter springs and raising the forks a bit 😢, and if I have to shave the seat foam. Isnt there something you can do with the subframe to lower it? 😢

I've been told by my local Pro-Action shop (he does good work by the way) that if I get my suspension serviced and revalved that the lowering is free. 😢

And he said that it is removable so it can be returned to stock with the next service. You have to change the oil in the shock and the forks at least once per year. 😢

By the way, lighter springs will not lower the bike correctly. It will just mean that the springs are too light for your weight and it will bottom so you will compensate with valving and it will get worse.....

You need to remove preload from the front springs. The right weight of spring but the right length of spring I believe. Or the suspension guy puts in a spacer to make the forks top out before the stock position.

This is definately how the rear is done with a spacer to make the shock top out at a shorter level. I believe that the fork is very similar. 😢

I ran my 03' YZ250F lowered one inch front and rear. It works great in most places but sharp chop like braking bumps on hard pack can get scary. I just set up my 05' by keeping the forks stock but raising them 8mm in the clamps, any more than that changes the geometry too much. I also took 8mm out of my sub-frame which brought down the seat 7/16 and I had the shock shimmed with a 5mm spacer which lowers it another 5/8. My previous experience proved better handling, easier starting and more confidence. The major draw back was that I got a pump stand for Xmas and it wouldn't slide under the bike. I'm 5'7", 140lbs. Factory Connection did my 03' work and it was great. They also did a friend of mines a 1/2" and I have another friend who is

5'9" and 170lbs, he rode mine and is going get his done

as well. Hey, Carmicheal does it. 😢

do you get the height reduction with servicing or a revalve? if its a revalve i dont really have 600. If its with service does it have to be both fork and shock? I really need the most cost effectly option 😢 Can i get the shock lowered for 150, then raise the forks one inch in the clamps? 😢 and full moto how do you shorten the subframe like that?

I got it with a revalve and it was $450, I'm having a local dealer wrench do my new one on the side and I should walk away at about $150 for 5mm spacer mod. 😢

I'll try to get some digital pictures of the subframe, but basicly what I did was to take the two lower subframe holes

that mount to the frame and drill the exact same size hole

just above both of them, aproximatly 8mm, and then plugged the pre-exsisting holes to stablize it in case you bottomed out hard enough to push the subframe up. You can measure it by unbolting the lower mounts, pull the subframe out and spread it over the outside of the frame. When you pass the

the current hole on the subframe the rear fender will drop.

It can also be done by cutting equal ammounts out of the frame on both sides and having someone reweld it. I hope this helps, and hope I can get you some pictures too.

Check the "sag" of the bike. You can ajust the sag. My daughter rides a 250F and it was a little tall for her. The sag with her on the bike was about 84mm and I believe the recommended sag is 100mm. After I adjusted the sag now she can put both feet on the ground. Go to "transworld.com and look up the article for sag.

dave,

I am 5'5'' and can reach both big toes on the ground on my new 05 250f.The height is not as big a deal as I thought it would be.I will get a kickstand for my yz.Once you are off and riding the height does not come into play. BUT if you are getting this bike to ride trails I would recommend lower the suspension,I ride motocross and the bikes works like a dream. 😢

I have my sag set at 104mm, and if you rode a lowered YZF or any other bike on the race track it's like riding a KX100. Just the perfect size for anybody 5'5" to 5'7".

Really fun!

yea, i can see now that it wouldnt be a problem, but the other problem is convincing my dad. He thinks that the fact that I cant touch down with both feet (or both toes if you will) is innapropriate for riding. Can you guys give some responses to him that I could print out and show him? 😢 :cry: 😢 :cry: