Sign in to follow this  

Cape york Australia Ideas anyone???

Hi,

New to this forum but it looks like the place to be.

Any way I used to ride alot when I was younger, I mean between probly 10 and 23 years of age(Im 34 now)....then you get married and have kids yadda yadda yaddy...no time no money no bikes..😢(..you know the stoty ..anyway my dad used to ride as well when he was younger also ..and allways wanted to go to Cape york (Ive been their a few years back)..So I came up with the idea that we ride up their and he jumped at the idea..Hes been dying to get back on a bike for a while now too..well he actually still has a old XT 250 that he goes shooting on, We are very outdoors kinda guys..if you havent noticed.

So we have put the wheels in motion and are planning for August next year, Started to get some cash together ect and we are on our way..BUT what I need are ideas..First we were thinking XR 400/600 but was warned they have a bad head reputation..so now since ive allways mainly had yamahas (YZ 465 ,FJ 1200..ect ect ect)so now we are looking in the direction of TT 350 or TT600...just wanting some ideas and imput..of course we will be looking at early 1990 models in good nik to keep the expence down...OH allso i need some good maps of where to find old plane crash sites from the war..ive heard their are alot up their..

This trip by the way isnt a race..we are just gonna poke up their nice and steady and enjoy ourselves..not trying to set any records..1 more thing, TTR ...whats the R stand for??..road??

Thanks for ya ideas guys and gurls...

Oz

How ya doin mate,

If you are asking about the reliability of the TT or XT600, I've got to say that it was one of the most claw-hammer reliable bikes I have ever thrown a leg over. I had a 1990 model. It was finally sold with over 25,000 miles on it. It would still pull nearly 100mph. I once rode it across the entire North American continent, from Florida all the way to Alaska. That's quite a haul. It gave me absolutely no motor trouble the entire time I owned the bike. Just keep the oil changed regularly.

The TTR model designation is most likely due to the new generation playbikes that came out a few years ago. The TTR's are mainly dirt/trail oriented. I don't know of any that can legally be ridden on the pavement, at least here in the states. It helps to distinguish the same displacement models from the old dual sports/road capable models. That is the best explanation I can think of.

Hope you have a geat time on your journey, be safe. Sounds like a great way to spend time with your dad. I hope to do a cross country trip in Australia someday soon. It is a beautiful country.

Cheers 😢

Have you had a look at the various tour groups?? Cape York Motorcycle Adventures A year or two ago I had a buddy that went up there and did a guided tour with them out of Cairns on some DRZ's. He loved it, you got good meals, went fishing and had good support. Either way you should have an awesome time. That is one place I am definatly going to go before my time is up.

I haven't heard of XR 400s having trouble with their heads 😢 XRs have a reputation for being pretty darned bullet proof :excuseme:Maybe your confused with the new CRF's.

Yea Im realy just looking for some ideas from ppl that have done this trip or one similar to say yea..take a TT 600 or dont bye one of those they are [@#$%&*!]..I am aware of the tour that go up their outa Cairns..but its not my thing..we want to go to some other places on the way and take our time..we are taking a suport veihacle allready too....as far as the XR...I was told the trouble they have with the head is they have a small sump so its easy for em to run dry and do the motor...Dont shout me down..ive just had 2 different ppl tell me that ..I dont know if its fact or not..its just wat I was told..Cheers...

Oz