Sign in to follow this  

Problems with the little Red thumper?

Hey! Just visiting from the Blue side.

A friend of mine is on the point of buying an '05 CRF250R (maybe an '04) and I have bee hearing some scary stuff about the bike. I've heard about some problems with valve failures, and another one involving cylinder skirts breaking. Also oil consumption comes up.

So what's the straight deal here? Can you tell me what's really going on with the bike?

Thanks! 😢

The skirt problem was solved in 05. Valves are an issue with some and the oil? Yes mine burns some but not enough to be an issue. If your the kind of guy who never does anything to the bike buy an xr. Other wise I love this bike. This site scares me into getting rid of it but over all I am keeping mine for now.

Iv'e has an 02 CRF450 for two years and I never missed a drop of oil, never adjustes my valves once although I checked often. I never had one problem with it. There might be lemons out there but my CRF was stone reliable.

Tell your friend to buy a Yamaha if Honda issues scare him or you...

Very simple...

We don't need another valve issue thread....

By the way, if your friend wants to buy a Honda, why do you care? If you want him to buy a Yamaha, just tell him the Hondas suck beucause Hondas are not reliable.

What do you expect from a Honda forum?

Hey! Just visiting from the Blue side.

A friend of mine is on the point of buying an '05 CRF250R (maybe an '04) and I have bee hearing some scary stuff about the bike. I've heard about some problems with valve failures, and another one involving cylinder skirts breaking. Also oil consumption comes up.

So what's the straight deal here? Can you tell me what's really going on with the bike?

Thanks! 😢

Tell your friend to buy a Yamaha if Honda issues scare him or you...

Very simple...

We don't need another valve issue thread....

By the way, if your friend wants to buy a Honda, why do you care? If you want him to buy a Yamaha, just tell him the Hondas suck beucause Hondas are not reliable.

What do you expect from a Honda forum?

How very cordial!

I re-read my original post, and I don't see anything that you should find particularly offensive. I'm just here trying to gather accurate information from people who should know.

I already told him to buy a YZ250F. He would rather buy one. But the kid wants another Honda for some very sound reasons. All I want to know is, how true is the stuff I've been hearing, what's the extent of it, and what is he going to have to be aware of.

What I expect from a Honda forum is to learn the truth from people's experiences with Hondas, and maybe catch some good natured ribbing in the process, not catch a lot of crap from random disenchanted dweebs. Maybe that was too much to ask. It's a very wierd kind of brand loyalty that would have you tell someone not to buy your favorite bike.

So, were you born a complete (*), or did you go through years of specialized training to reach your current level of expertise in the field?

Hey grayracer513. I think the reason you got that response is that it

is kind of getting beat to death. Some people are having valve problems,

most are not. I knew all of this when i was deciding to move from a 2 stroke

to a 250 4 stroke and I chose the red one. I love the bike. It is absolutely the

most fun bike I have ever ridden. I'm a B woods rider and would buy this bike again

EVEN if I had a valve problem.

It's understandable that you might be tired of hearing something that's been around the circle several times. But not being a "resident", I don't know what has and what hasn't. I'm just askin' for a friend, like I said.

The response I got from drz4001311 was more like what I had in mind, and what you would have gotten from me. Plain, objective facts addressing the question asked.

If there are any legitimate issues, but you feel like you don't want to go through the whole thing again, post a link to a good thread, or give a guy some search keywords. Might be more neighborly. Red, Blue, &%$#@! ever, we all ride motorcycles.

Ah, don't let westladog get to ya'. He is like that with everyone.

You'll HEAR about problems with the CRF and you might meet a few people that have had problems, but a vast majority (including myself) have had ZERO problems with their red bikes. You have to understand that when a person has a problem with their bike, they are going to come to websites like this looking for help. As a result, it appears that all CRF's are junk. But remember that Honda has built thousands upon thousands of CRF's whereas the people that come onto this site with problems only number in the hundreds. (this includes RMZ's and KX-F's) I guess the point that I am trying to make is that you should not make your choice to purchase a brand based on what you read here. Get out to the track and talk to CRF racers and see what they tell you. I bet you'll find a very small percentage that have had any problems! 😢