Sign in to follow this  

Recenty rejetted my DR350

I live near cleveland ohio, purchased a 1990 dr350 a year ago, it came with an aftermarket pipe horrible installed, and i have yet to fix its leaks or replace it, its a straight through, no muffling, no spark arrestor. I just did the kientech airbox mod and installed a 140 main jet,it had a 137.5 in it before, i assume thats not stock. I also installed a 40 pilot, becouse the previous 37.5 couldnt hold a predictable idle, cold was nice and idle, when the engine warmed it raced.

Heres my question, The engine has a different tone behind it now, its more rumble than the snap it used to have, it appears to have the same/better power down low, but high end is appearing to be maxed out earlier, and I think i had more high end power before the rejet.

But the thing i do like is the engine is running extremly cooler than previously, i realise the climate is changing, but a week or so ago it was colder than what i rode yesterday, and the engine case would scald me, now its just hot, but tolerable. This makes me believe i did have a really lean condition previously, and perhaps that would explain the different sound from the exhaust. From what i believe leaner mixtures burn hotter but longer, so it could have still been burning previously at the start of the exhaust stroke ( Right before rejetting i was riding at dusk and saw flames from exaust at a high rpm.)

So is this how my bike is supposed to sound/act/heat up? Im not too upset that the highend isnt as it was before, becouse i dont race, and use most of my power in the low end. Which seems about the same to slightly improved, i can still easily wheelie in 2nd by just a roll of the throttle.

You will need to test different main jets to find the best peak power. The bike was probably running lean before, as you suggested. Try increasing the main jet 2 steps at a time to compare and then refine the setting.

James