Sign in to follow this  

Estimate for a shop to install new fork seals.

Yo, do you guys have a ballpark idea of what to expect for my local bike shop (DGY for those of you in Northern IL) to toss on some new fork seals? It'd be w/o parts costs, because I'd just buy some seals on my own and bring them in with the bike.

Also, any idea what the going rate is to have a bike shop completely tune/set-up a dirtbike suspension? The bike is an '03 YZ250F if it makes any difference.

thanks alot guys 😢

for an xr500r in tucson, az i was quoted $200. I think i can learn to do it

Do it yourself, if you have a good manual it will take you through step by step. I never did it before either, but I tried it myself on my CRF250R and it was easy. The only part that was a little tough was getting the new seals in.

You will probably save around $200 doing it yourself.

Krass,

Don't pay more than $40 for Oil seals and Dust wipers. Labor ~$65. Just add your favorite brand of oil. I'd go for redline Lightweight or extra light suspension fluid.

-dave

$100 plus parts is the norm. Most times $140 will cover the rebuild without bushings. Approx. $20 less if you can reuse the dust wipers. If you have WP forks then slightly more.

doc

Hmmm thanks guys. I think I will get a couple quotes, and if they want more than $100 for labor, I'll give it a shot myself. 😢

Yeah, my local guy total rebuilt everything front and rear for 300. So replacing seals should really be quite less. oH and you don't need to spend 70 bucks on a set of seal drivers. I peice of PVC pipe plit down the center works just as good.

To save a few bucks, buy guide bushings and seal + wiper kits for a 01 CR125. Replace the guide bushings if the bike has any amount of time on it. (guide bushing = bushing right behind the seal; it comes out with the seal)

Good luck with it. 😢

If a shop knows what they are doing 1hr labor $65 plus parts. Or buy a fork seal driver and learn to do them yourself. PVC split down the middle doesn't cut it.