Sign in to follow this  

How high a stand to get wheels off?

20 years of riding street bikes with center stands has spoiled me. I've got a set of M21's on order for my new (to me) 400S and went to take the wheels off in anticipation of their arrival. I looked around for something suitable to get it off the ground and a cooler seemed like the best candidate. I quickly found out two reasons why this was a bad idea: first, the suspension on both ends sagged enough that the wheels touched and, more importantly, I lost access to my beer. 😢

I figured I'd build a simple box out of 2x4's and plywood. How tall do I need to make it to get the wheels off the ground?

I'm also considering buying an inexpensive lift. Has anyone tried this one from Sam's Club?

Thats a good price. I have one very simliar from Harbor Freight

I got a little over a year ago or so for $60.

Works great, gets both wheels off the ground and you can wheel

it around with the rims off no problem.

After looking at it a little more it deosnt have the long handle

the harbor freight model does, mine also doesnt have the front rudders.

The long handle is good for dragging it around and moving the bike

on the lift.

Here is the one I have.

I'm also considering buying an inexpensive lift. Has anyone tried this one from Sam's Club?

I got this from Costco for $59. It works just plain great for the DRZ and also my GS. Mine came with a neat roll about stool which lowers and raises which is great to sit down in comfort and work on your bike at eye level.

I can recommend that jack / stand without reservations.

After looking at it a little more it deosnt have the long handle

the harbor freight model does, mine also doesnt have the front rudders.

The long handle is good for dragging it around and moving the bike

on the lift.

Here is the one I have.

On mine, the handle's removable. I too think the long handle great. My DRZ's on the lift now and i can wheel it around easily to work on it or move it out of the way so I can get my other bikes in and out.

I think this one has the handle, but it's not attached in the pic. If it doesn't that makes our deal look a bit better. OTOH, we don't know how much this will cost to ship. Mine is a good 80 lbs in the box.

OTOH, we don't know how much this will cost to ship. Mine is a good 80 lbs in the box.

I just checked: $50 shipping. The Sam's Club one isn't such a great deal unless your local store has it in stock. I couldn't find any way for it to be shipped to my local store. There's a Harbor Freight about 1/2 hour away so I'll go by this week and see if they have one.

I have a buddy who got the one from Sam's Club and the hydraulics went bad -- Sam's stood behind it and replaced it -- I haven't heard how the new one is performing.

Thanks, burned. It didn't occur to me to check an auto parts store. I went out at lunch today and found one for $77. The guy behind the counter said they were on sale over the weekend and was about to tell me how much but I stopped him and said I didn't want to know. Kinda like folks who come into forums like this and ask, "I just paid $XXXX for a DRZ, did I get a good deal?" No sense punishing myself. I'm just happy I won't have to hip check this 300 lb bike up onto an old 5 gallon bucket to get the tires off.