Roloc

DRZ 125l and my wife kick starting it...

Hey folks. My wife and I just picked up riding and I got a klx 300r and she bought a new DRZ 125l. She is having an insane time kick starting it though. I don't have much of a problem starting it and I taught her how to "set the piston" but at times she can't even kick it down. It is painfull to watch and I wanted to know if there is an easier way to help her kick start it or any advice other female riders had on this, she is ok the first couple of times but as she gets tired it gets worse.

If the answer is an electric started how much do these go for?

Thanks,

Steve

Make sure the bike is at Top Dead Center (TDC), then ease the kickstarter down 1"-2" which sets the piston to a downward travel. When cold, give the throttle 2 twists to put gas in the cylinder and use the choke (experiment). When hot, dont touch the gas and use the hot start. The second bit of advice is to use a stand for the left foot so that her body weight is used. When stopping on the trail, stop next to a log or rock for a stand.

When hot, dont touch the gas and use the hot start.

There is no hot start on a DRZ 125.

If it's new, it'll become easier to get started after it breaks in. If it's really cold outside, you might be having jetting prob's because of it

She can put the bike on the kick stand, and use her weight that way. Other than that, she needs to learn to get it started(unless you wanna start it for her each time), or sell it and buy an e-start bike. There is no electric starter kit for these bikes.

When cold, give the throttle 2 twists to put gas in the cylinder

That works on bikes with accelerator pumps, but the DR-Z125 doesn't have one. All you are doing is moving the slide up and down. No gas is being pumped into the manifold.

DR-Z125's are notoriously lean with factory settings. This can make them hard to start. Do a search on this forum to find the carb mods which will help you be able adjust the idle mixture for easier starting.

My wife said "I can do it my daaamn self" hehe remember this is a girl dirtbiker 😢

Thanks for the tips guys, the kickstand thing will help probably. TDC is when the kick starter hits that point that is really hard to get past right (well harder).

-R

Rejetting really helps, turn the screws out to 2.5 from fully seated, a 20 pilot and 105 main. Assuming the bike is stock. Going up 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket is a good idea too, the bike's geared so low that first gear is barely useful. My wife's 5'4" with short legs, she can kick start it without too much trouble.

My wife had a hard time starting her 125 also, but what we found is that its more of a cordination thing than strengh, in the beginning I would have to start if for her (she's 5'4 also) but now she has no problem starting it.

Anybody notice that the kickstand is short on the DRZ 125L? I bought a used 2015 DRZ 125L and the kickstand is so relatively short at 13" the bike leans over what looks like 45 degrees.

I mention it on this kickstarting thread here because my 12 year old son likes to lower the kickstand, and then stand on the left footpeg when kickstarting his TTR125. That doesn't work this this DRZ 125L though.

The used 2015 DRZ 125L that I bought appeared to be totally stock, but maybe the joker I bought it from put on a weird short kickstand? If someone would be kind enough to post the length of their DRZ 125L kickstand I'd like to compare. Again, mine is 13".

11 hours ago, Ana Galarza said:

I have an 04 125L and the kickstand is the same size.. it really is annoying to shift that much weight so far down 

Thanks Ana. So it's not just me. I've ordered a longer kickstand. I'll post here on how it works once I get it.