Sign in to follow this  

HSCD/LSCD Transition

I have a '99 XR400 on which I have been learning suspension tuning. I've softened the HSCD and LSCD and you can find my current stacks installed 10-18 here. I'm running a Race Tech 8.5 kg/mm shock spring with approximately 3.625" race sag and 0.875" static sag. I should also state that I do not freestyle with this bike, however, our frequent riding areas do have several jumps where I catch probably 3 - 4 feet of air. My current setup is pretty good, but when I set the bike to absorb the jump hit, it's a bit too stiff through some whoops in the rest of the riding area. My question is what type of hit usually gets the HSCD involved? Landing from such small jumps, or something more like hitting sharp edged bumps at speed?

These shocks had WAY to much rebound damping so that may be the culprit if your having problems in the whoops.

doc

doc,

That's what I've read and felt. I basically cut my LSRD stack in half during my last rebuild and it seems to have brought the rebound damping into range. Things may be very good as currently adjusted. During our last ride I ended up with 6 clicks out on compression and 7 clicks out on rebound; plenty of room for adjustment. I'm just trying to figure out which sort of obstacles involve the HSCD versus LSCD for future fine tuning.