starting on sidehill?

I was riding w/ some friends and we were traversing a hill on tight single track. We all went off the trail, downhill side at one spot. We stalled the bikes with kickstart on uphill side. We could just barely touch with our left foot (downhill side) and all seemed to topple over when trying to kick it and got ourselves in more trouble. We ended up turning the bikes around but then couldn't get going in the right direction without dropping another 20ft below the trail. We gave up and went home.

Is the better technique in those predicaments to stand on the uphill side and start it with your left foot and then jump on?

I know it sounds trite but try not to stall your bike. Most new riders don't use the clutch very well. The clutch is your best tool in maintaining traction and keeping your engine running. If you feel like you are going to stall the engine, pull in the clutch for a second. If you are loosing traction....ditto. If you are going into a corner too hot....same thing.

I think keeping your RPM's up is the best advice on hills. Keep your eyes ahead, and if your friends stall look for other lines. In first gear you should be able to tractor up most hills as long as you listen and don't let your R's drop.😢

PS.. To your question, I prefer kicking on the bike while standing on my left leg up hill. You should be able roll back to this position if caught in the other.

On the Gary Bailey trail riding video they said you should just ride back down, bump start it and try again. Kicking on the side of a hill wastes energy and trying to take off usually does a lot of damage to the hills, and sometimes the rider when they loop it.

Cheers,

Get a bike with e-start?

Worked for me.

Me too!!! 😢

I used to fight with that, especially being really short. It just takes a considerable amount of coordination IF you can touch the ground at all, jump up on the seat and kick it, keeping your momentum to fall uphill, then put you foot down.

Another option is sitting on the bike, have right leg on ground, kick and return right leg to ground. NOT EASY - BUY ESTART!!!

Failing that, stand uphill and kick with your left foot...