Sign in to follow this  

How many miles can I realistically expect from my '04 DRZ-400S?

😢 Question guys: I read in my owners manual that came with my '04 DRZ-400S under the "Emisions" section that the life expectancy was ~18,500 miles. 😢 Actually, it made a generic statement listing distances for various endine sizes (bikes within several cc ranges (e..g 100cc-250cc, 250cc-350cc, 400cc+, etc...) that my DRZ-400S was good for something like 18,500 miles. Is that emissions-only info? That led me to ask myself, and ultimately you guys w/ all the brains out there 😢; what is my bikes life expectancy in miles? I drive it both on the street to work some 20 miles each way (weather being good!), and in the dirt w/ my 13 yr. old on his YZ80. My 2001 Harley was good, per the dealer, for about 100,000 miles due to better manufacturing materials, specs, etc. How about the DRZ? Anyone willing to take a guess? (I take real good care of her! 😢) 😢

😢 :cry: 😢 :cry:

i knew when i stated that in spud's charging thread everyone would run for their owner manuals.

there are several 20k+ drz's here.

it all dependson how its used and maintained.

I have 37000 km (23000 miles) on my 2001 S, mostly on the road. Last winter I had the piston/rings and cam chain replaced. I change the oil/oil filter every 3000 km's

I have 37000 km (23000 miles) on my 2001 S, mostly on the road. Last winter I had the piston/rings and cam chain replaced. I change the oil/oil filter every 3000 km's

What made you do the work, was it starting to burn oil?

I have 21000 on mine, hoping to get many more before I

go to the 440 kit, maybe another year or so, after I get the FCR

and a full SM setup.

My 2001 Harley was good, per the dealer, for about 100,000 miles due to better manufacturing materials, specs, etc.

I don't think this is correct. You're comparing apples and oranges here.

My 2001 Harley was good, per the dealer, for about 100,000 miles due to better manufacturing materials, specs, etc. How about the DRZ?

😢

YOUR DRZ WILL LAST $$$$$$$$$$$$ as long as youy want. 😢 Keep takin good care of her and she'll do like wise. Ride hard just don't put her up wet 😢 :cry: 😢

What made you do the work, was it starting to burn oil?

No, it wasn't burning oil but had severe piston slap when I started it up cold, but went away after it had warmed up. The piston head and rings were no longer within specs given in the service manual. The cam chain was stretched, so that was replaced as well. A friend of mine did the work for free, I just had to pay for the parts. 😢

I have a 2000E and don't know how many miles are on it but here is my question. If it starts wearing out around 20,000 miles what wears out. Does that just mean I would need to rebuild the top end? I mean is it fesable to just rebuild the engine or something or is it not worth it cost wise?

I wasn't comparing per'se', just commenting about today's tighter design spec's, CAD designing, etc 😢 and was wondering what would be a realistic expectation. I'd never expect 100k from either my HD or my Suzi, but figured 18500 was a low expectation if she's taken care of properly. I only have 500 on it so far and just bought it 9/15/04. I would guess 30k assuming oil changes, synthetic oil, etc. I will find out eventually, if my back holds out! 😢

No, it wasn't burning oil but had severe piston slap when I started it up cold, but went away after it had warmed up. The piston head and rings were no longer within specs given in the service manual. The cam chain was stretched, so that was replaced as well. A friend of mine did the work for free, I just had to pay for the parts.

What are the symptoms of piston slap? A hellish clattering at

cold start up, and/or hard starting? Do valve issues sound the same?

I would guess 30k assuming oil changes, synthetic oil, etc. I will find out eventually, if my back holds out!

Id like to outlast my bike as well... 😢 :cry: 😢

(((I have 37000 km (23000 miles) on my 2001 S, mostly on the road. Last winter I had the piston/rings and cam chain replaced. I change the oil/oil filter every 3000 km's )))

I don't know why, I can only say mine is very smooth on cold start at 22k . It burns no oil with what I ve been using. It's only ran high end MOTorcycle Full synthetic it's entire life after first oilchange at 350 miles. It's always received clean air and fuel, I have ran 1 cup of race fuel pertank, if you saw inside my exhaust , you'd think the bike was new.

I have checked my valves in over 7k, It's so quiet on the tappets, I think they might be tight, but runs fine.

A friend has 140,000miles on his DR350 with origanal rings and everything. 😢

• Like 1

My 2001 Harley was good, per the dealer, for about 100,000 miles due to better manufacturing materials, specs, etc. How about the DRZ?

😢

😢 :cry: 😢 :cry: 🤣 🤣 🤣

Is that on a trailer, or actual riding miles ?

Two years ago I road Colorado on my uncle-in-law's 1979 Kawasaki KE 250. 24,000 Miles and NEVER had a new piston and rings. He runs the crappiest oil he can buy at the local quick-mart, Poulan, Evenrude, does't matter.

I'm told he even seized it once, for got to fill the Oil injector. Once it cooled, fired right up. Darn thing would fire on the first or second kick each time. I had a blast on the little bike all 10 horses or so. 😢

JL

What are the symptoms of piston slap? A hellish clattering at

cold start up, and/or hard starting? Do valve issues sound the same?

A hellish noise at start up, but it would start up no problem. It kind of sounds like when train wheels go over a switch with the double clack-clack sound. If it where the valves making the noise it's more of a single clacking sound. Atleast that's what it sounded like to me.

How long will a DRZ last, I don’t know. With 22k on my bike, and not having checked the valves in about 9k, I was very interested to see where they were. My bike burns no oil and is very smooth, but I fiquered if these valves were continuing to move, then that would put a question mark as to how long. Bike has also ran motorcycle full syn since 350 miles

My history with my bike, seems to be that I had movement in all valves between 8 to 13k, they haven’t moved since. Running 3mm shims on both exhausts, clearance at .025mm , intakes are at .15mm and haven’t moved. Even at 22,000 miles the Timing chain and cam sprockets look fine.

I’m the one who mentioned the VP c12’s cleaning ability. I ride mainly the street. But everytime the bike is in the garage it gets a cup of VP, averages out to about a cup every to every other tank. .

Originally, I started running it for valve protection. Theory being if the lead powder can be seen coming out of the exhaust, surely the valves are getting some benefit. The side effect is the amasing cleaning ability which I’VE GROWN TO LOVE. Those running full race fuel have noted the lack of the heavily carbon build up as posted by those running pump fuel on pistons. Especially those parts of the country that have very poor pump fuel quality.

I started running it around 7500 miles, now at 22,000 miles.

My last valve check was at 13k, I just got through checking and they haven’t moved , everything still at mid spec as set 9k ago.

No fuel, carburator, or carbon build up problems at all , but I’ve heard several mention hesitation of mixing fuel. I’ve used fuels from both Central Texas, and Panhandle of Florida.

I should post a pic of the plug I just pulled out with 7500 miles on it, very pretty and clean plug with , not even one tidbit of soot or carbon on it.

When I first started running it at 7500 miles, my exhaust had a black soot film inside, looking at my spark arrestor, I knew eventually I’d have to clean it in the future. I ran 1/2 tank of VP no power difference, and had lots of lead in the exhaust. I figured under the gray powdered lead would be the black soot still there.

To my amasement , the thing was spotless, completely removed all that soot, and I never had the need to clean my arrestor, , there nothing to clean, other than the gray color from the lead. The screen is spotlessly clean.

I’m in florida now, and my VP supply lasted me about 9 months, so VP is all gone. Having to use Sunoco lead now. Same effect although I think the VP is better. I’ think I’m about to head back to Texas, we’ll go back to the VP.

Don't worry about the 18,500 mile rating in the owner's manual. I have run into this topic before with diesel engines. The EPA rated mileage has nothing to do with actual life expectancy of the engine. It is simply a number that they use to base how much pollutants the engine will generate over the life of the engine. This number is not merely made up (I forget the nuts and bolts of it now) But suffice it to say, that they rate a Cummins 5.9L at something like 225,000 miles (I think) and the average rebuild on one is closer to 500,000 miles with many more far exceeding these numbers. I know these numbers sound high....unless you are into diesels like I am. The darn things will run forever!

Anyway, just wanted to point this out. You can find the same info in your owners manual to your car or truck and the number will scare you! Like I said, it is only for EPA emission certification issues, etc. I've got 3500 miles on my DRZ so far.........not worrying yet. 😢

Jerry