Sign in to follow this  

nose-high off jumps

(i am racing a yz85)

when i am racing or just riding for fun i am not sure what happens i used to race a ttr 125 and never had a problem jumping it it always stayed flat or did what i wanted it to do but now that i am on the yz whenever i jump it the front end goes up i have tried leaning forward but that isn't working my older brother said that i am giving it too much trottle at the lip of the jump he said i should stay smooth on the throttle up the face of the jump is this why i am getting nose high off jumps?

thanks

This could depend on many things. Throttle position or steepness of take-off ramp but most importantly I would say body position. If your head is up over your triple clamps, or even past them on steep ramps, that should more than make up for most other factors.

If you are leaning forward and still flying nose high just level it back out while your up there.. For me body position, tapping the rear brake, or hooking your right heel under where your subframe bolts to the frame and lifting up all work well for me.

It's a 2 stroke not a 4.

IUf you keep on the gas all the way till your up in the air, you'll bring the nose high. When I rode my friends 125, I practally had to cut the throttle at the top of the jump.

Since you are used to jumping on the 4 stroke, you'll have to change your technique slightly to be successful on the 2 stroke. The smoker has a LOT less engine braking than you're used to. With a 4 stroke, when you let off the throttle in the air it has much more of a tendency to get the nose down. As you have found, this is not so on a 2 stroke.

You'll have to rely more on your take off position and less on throttle effects to get the bike to fly right (although the panic rev will work great on the smoker 😢). Practice taking off in a neutral position (all weight on pegs, none on handlebars) on smaller jumps. Get this right before you move up to bigger jumps.

I'm sort of having the same problem but I keep letting off the throttle on the face and I try to gas it more and I just pitch forward more, it really kills all my confidence 😢 :cry: 😢

pap21,

My son races a YZ85 and several years ago when he was first starting he had a similar learning experience. Those little 85 rockets have so much more acceleration than your previous bike. I taught my son to learn to adjust his body position based on acceleration. I made he jump an easy double in different gears to learn how being in the power ban (and accelerating) affects the bike. Basically the harder your accelerating the further forward you need to be. And yes he did loop it out serveral times in the beginning, but now he's a very good jumper.

Practice, Practice, Practice...

let me give you some advice that my dad once gave me:

"Whats the matter with you, ya big sissy?? Quit being a damn moron and go jump the damn jump!"

😢

other than that, blip the throttle on the face, from the bottom of the takeoff to the apex of your airtime make a smooth transition from seated/leaned back (weighting the rear wheel) to standing with weight forward. the key is smoothness. don't pull on the bars for extra jumping boost (yes, you are) stop doing it. if you're still a little nose-light, tap the rear brake as you apex.

and somebody else said it: practice, practice, practice.

It may not be you it may be the rebound on the rear shock is too slow.

Quicken the rebound a click at a time until the bike starts to level out.

The other option is to increase rebound on the front forks, but that will take you to a slow dead action on your suspension. Try quicker first.

thanks for all the tips i guess i will have to adjust my suspension more and keep on practicing. 😢

Try pulling in the clutch and stabbing the rear brake a few imes while ur in the air. The force from the wheel going from spinning to instantly stopped will move the bike forward some, just be SURE TO RELEASE THE BRAKE B4 U LAND 😢

It may not be you it may be the rebound on the rear shock is too slow.

Quicken the rebound a click at a time until the bike starts to level out.

I think you nailed it. Try adjusting your rear rebound 1 click faster and maybe your front 1 click slower.

Ed

if you blip the throttle as ur front tire is leaving the lip of the jump u shudnt nose dive. or not as much at least just practice and ull get the feel of it. i ride my moms ttr125 and i kno how u cud get used to holding the gas off jumps with those. good luck 😢

It's a 2 stroke not a 4.

IUf you keep on the gas all the way till your up in the air, you'll bring the nose high. When I rode my friends 125, I practally had to cut the throttle at the top of the jump.

WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG I held my 125s throttle off the lip thousands of times. and I never went nose high. Learn how to control your bike, you are ltting the bike throw you around int he air when it should be the other way around.

jsut need to get the feeling for it make sure it is set up right and if it does go nose high tap hte rear brake jsut make sure you pull in the clutch.

jsut need to get the feeling for it make sure it is set up right and if it does go nose high tap hte rear brake jsut make sure you pull in the clutch.

Im gonna laugh when you post you got injured due to tapping your back brake in the air.

Check your rear shock, body position must change with each jump to compensate for the different face angles and so on, throttle control, and brake tape....also PRACTICE

I agree with Jake about being able to hold the gas off the lip. I do it over most jumps on my 125, you just have to have a good body position. However, I do use the brake tap, and don't see why anyone would get injured, assuming you let go of it before you land.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im gonna laugh when you post you got injured due to tapping your back brake in the air.

😢😢

On a two stroke throttle control is very important.

If the jump has a sharp lip, you usually can stay on the gas untill the last moment.

If the jump has no lip (more of a 'roller') you need to roll off the throttle while you are going airborne.

Just keep these two things in mind when you practice.

I also recommend that you practice on whoops, they really teach you how to manage the position of your front tire.

If you are racing I do not suggest the race tap because I have read several times that you lose time (a second or something) each time you do.

try using body english or throttle finesse

Back on topic though, I just got off a cr85 last week for my 250f.

Before the jump have speed coming up to it, and on the lip to avoid nose manualing(if your going slow) chop the throttle to not flip over the bars

However, if you have enough speed to almost clear the jump just give it some steady throttle to the face and let off. If you have any doubts that you can clear it then chop it off the lip again.

Just like someone else said practice