Sign in to follow this  

JD, need some help with a CRF250R "04"

JD,

I posted a similiar post on the CRF250 board and then realized I should have posted here first. I installed your kit a couple of months ago on my CRF250R. I am using the stock pilot, fuel screw 2-1/4 turns out, Red needle, Clip in the 5th pos.,175 main jet and backfire screen removed. The bike really ripped. I couldn't hardley keep the front wheel on the ground in 1st and 2nd. Since the kit instillation I have installed a DR.D Pipe and went 1 tooth up on the rear sprocket. The bike still starts fine and isn't popping or backfiring, but I have a slight bog from idle and the it doesn't seem as crisp. I have to pull up on the bars to get the front wheel of the ground and before the above modifications all I had to do was hit the throttle. If you have any suggestions they would greatly be appriciated. I am riding at 500-1000ft and its about 65 degrees.

The pipe may be moving the power to a higher RPM with less low-end. Try increasing the main jet 1 step and adjusting the fuel screw outwards slightly with a standard idle speed. If there are posts from other riders using the same setup, compare their settings.

Thanks,

James

Thanks for the advice JD. I have a couple of questions before I dig int the carb. I followed your advice and looked through the post for similiar setups. What I found was that you recommended to "jimmyp1966" on 07/06/04 who seems to has the same setup as I do to adjust the fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out, Red needle in the 4th clip, and keep the 175 MJ. You recommended that I move the fuel screw out slightly and increasing the main jet 1 step. I suppose I should leave the red needle in the 5th clip. The reason that I ask is not to question your expertise in jetting, but was just wondering if the changes that you requested to "jimmyp1966" were basically the same as what you recommended to me.

Thanks for the advice JD. I have a couple of questions before I dig int the carb. I followed your advice and looked through the post for similiar setups. What I found was that you recommended to "jimmyp1966" on 07/06/04 who seems to have the same setup as I do to adjust the fuel screw 2 1/2 turns out, Red needle in the 4th clip, and keep the 175 MJ. You recommended that I move the fuel screw out from 2 1/4 slightly and increasing the main jet 1 step. I suppose I should leave the red needle in the 5th clip? The reason that I ask is not to question your expertise in jetting, but was just wondering if the changes that you requested to "jimmyp1966" were basically the same as what you recommended to me?

Current Setup: Stock pilot, fuel screw 2 1/4 turns out, Red Needle in the 5th clip, and 175 main jet, Twin Air Filter (no screen), and a Dr. D pipe. Ride at 600ft to 1000ft in Kentucky.

To keep you from having to scroll up to my previous post I am trying to add more snap in the bottom end. Since the pipe instillation the bike isn't near as strong in the bottom end as it was with just your kit installed.

I don't mean to be a pain in the A$$, but I am just not comfortable enough adjusting on carbs yet I guess.

It's difficult to know whether this is jetting or differences in pipe performance. Having known what it was like before, you're faced with trial and error to see the change (no easy answer). The red needle in #4 or #5 are good settings to work with, and then main jets close to the #175 should help low-end. Keep some notes and compare as you ride.

Your fuel screw should be close to 2 1/4 (+/- 1/4) in most cases.

James