Sign in to follow this  

HELP - CRF250R vs CRF450R - New Rider

I'm looking to purchase my first dirt bike. I'm a big mountain biker and wakeboarder and looking for a winter extreme sport. I'm 32 6'1" 190 lbs and am not sure what bike to get. I'm located in Northern CA and will be riding mostly Hollister Hills trail and some track. I'll also do some trail riding in Tahoe. I'm leaning towards a CRF250R or CRF450R based on the excellent reviews. Please help point me figure out what's the best bike for me.

well since you state that your an extreme mountain biker/wakeboarder I'd say get the 450.It's probably the the best bike made(says many a magazine).Normally I would recommened the 250 for a new rider but your probably on a advanced learning curve.Get the 450 and put on a fmf Qseries muffler to tame and quiet the beast.Learn your maintenance and have fun.

I would definetly go with the 250f it has more than enough grunt for you. The 450 can get you in too trouble sometime. Id see if u could try both bikes. But the 250 is lighter and still has wicked power.

I'm looking to purchase my first dirt bike. I'm a big mountain biker and wakeboarder and looking for a winter extreme sport. I'm 32 6'1" 190 lbs and am not sure what bike to get. I'm located in Northern CA and will be riding mostly Hollister Hills trail and some track. I'll also do some trail riding in Tahoe. I'm leaning towards a CRF250R or CRF450R based on the excellent reviews. Please help point me figure out what's the best bike for me.

well, if you are looking for a winter "extreme" sport you've choosen the right bikes. i reccomend getting "extremely" proficient with your tools and "extremely" familiar with your shop manuals because these bike require "extreme" maintenance.

why not get a bike that is "extremely" simple to maintain and "extremely" light and that will turn in the woods? like a CR or YZ250? or perhaps a KTM EXC/MXC?

jeremiah

From what I've read (and continue to read), the CRF250 sounds more and more like the bike to have where extreme power isn't required. In all honesty, I can think of only (2) places that I actually use all that my 450 has:

sand dunes

a big uphill jump (WFO in 4th) @ a nearby track

you're a big dude, go with the 450.

if you were smaller id say go with the 250 but im a small person and id rather have ther 450 over the 250, anyday 😢

I'm about your size (6/1" and 200 lbs) and just love my CRF250X. It's like a mountain bike on steroids. It's light and very maneuverable on the tight technical trails and has plenty of power for that stuff. The electric start is handy in spots, and when I dump the bike on the side of a hill. It's rare that I use anything higher than 3rd gear because of the terrain.

The CRF250R or CRF450R are "red sticker" bikes that can't be ridden at Holister in the summer.

The CRF250X is a green sticker bike and can be ridden year round.

There are a lot of experienced rider who feel the CRF450R is too much bike and are switching back to the CRF250R.

www.clubmoto.com is in Livermore.

Check to see about MX bike rental.

Try a 250, then decide if you need a 450.

450R is a whole lotta bike if you've never ridden - heck it's a whole lot if you have. I'd consider a used something-tamer and trade up when ready. XR400? Good power in a really easy-to-use package with no maintenance. But not good for track.

Maybe the 250R or 250X.

Honda is coming out w/a CRF450x, more of a off-road bike than the crf450r.. Best thing is that it is green stickered..Meaning that you can legally ride the bike at Hollister year round..

Have you ever ridden at Hollister?? I ride there alot!!

Rick

Lots of varied opinions so far!!!

I'm also in NorCal and ride MX. I go to Hollister now and then to ride with my 8 year old and love sliding around the TT track. But I mostly stick to the tracks.

I'm 38, 5'10"/185 lbs and my first bike three years ago was a 2001 YZ426F. I was a long time skater, biker, skier, etc too. Don't let these wussy's tell you a CRF450 is too much bike.

Either of your two choices will be great bikes.

Go to the www.clubmoto.com website and click on "rentals." You can rent bikes from Monterey Motorcycles but they will only rent MX bikes to "experienced riders" and will only meet you at Club Moto. That can be bad if you've never ridden before since Club Moto can be brutal at certain times of the day.

It would really pay to spend some time at Hollister or Club Moto with someone from here. Then you can get a better feel for what you think you want.

Send me a PM if you want. I ride all the local Norcal MX spots and will be at Club Moto tomorrow night. In fact, I ride with a bunch of wakeboarder guys.