Sign in to follow this  

Too much Oil - Blown Seals ! Damage ! Woe !

Now that I have your attention...

To raise this issue yet again does anyone out there have any real evidence of overfull oil actually causing long term problems after the level was fixed - blown seals, high oil consumption, etc ?

As with many others, my numbnuts dealer continues to put about 0.5 quarts too much in, which still leaves plenty of airspace and does not even cover the rocker tube outlet.

With the dry sump setup, I cannot see how damage could occur. Even if there was absolutely no room left in the oil tank, the pressure would force oil down the tube into the rocker cover and eventually out the breather.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Cheers

PfM

Yes I agree! I cant see how over filling the frame oil reservoir cant do anything at all! I always over fill mine, and its never made a difference!

I think the measurements on the dipstick are only to give you an idea how full it is. and where it says full, They mean, there's actually no point filling it up more than this! But if you do it dosnt matter.

Thats what I thinks anyway!

I trusted my first maintaince to a dealer that did just that, overfilled by what I remember a quart. My problem was not the overfilling but the filter being forced in backwards. If it was not for the engine whinning it was the oil being burped out of the crankcase vent tube all over the garage floor that identified the problem. Honda stood by me and had a complete new top end and leakdown test done at their expence (at another dealer). It was nice to hear the kid hired to do small mechnical items was fired for what he had been doing to numerous bikes. I beleive he thought he was creating buissness for the dealer he worked for. 😢