Sign in to follow this  

Help... I change my sprocket an ruined my clutch

Hi,

Well I did it... 😢 somehow I managed to completely screw up my clutch on my CRF450 while chainging the sprockets and chain today. I can still shift the gears and get the bike into neutral, but if I pull in the clutch lever, it doesn't seem to disengage the gears.

Apparently you have to keep the wheel and chain on to loosen the front sprocket. I unfortunately did not know that and took the chain and wheel off before trying to unscrew the drive sprocket screw. Since there was no tire/chain to pose any resistance, turning the bolt left basically made the engine go throught a cycle. So I thought 😢 that the bolt must be reverse threaded. So I tried spinning the bolt to the right to "loosen" it . This caused the engine to go through a cycle backwards. At this point I am thinking I bent something in the low end to render the clutch useless. This is at least my guess on the action that killed the clutch...

So here's the question... Is anyone as dumb as me? What possibly could have broke/bent? Can an engine cycle backwards without harming it?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

-Jason

Your sprocket spins backwards when you push your bike backwards. I doubt that anything could realy get too [@#$%&*!] up from spining the sprocket backwards unless you had the gas on it could flood(maybe????).

check the clutch cable. Make sure it is adjusted correctly.

If the bike is not running and you are pulling in the clutch then the oil between the clutch plates will still grip a little and it might feel like there is a problem with the clutch when nothing is wrong. Have you checked the clutch while the bike was running ?

Turning the engine from the outputshaft like you did is not going to hurt your bike at all.