Sign in to follow this  

ROCKS best way over

What is the best way over a section of rocks. I just finished a trip threw goler wash to stripedbute and the rocks just about kicked my but. Some how I got lucky and made it over them without hitting the ground. I dont want to be lucky, I want to make it over them without the point and throtle and hope I make it over them. Then when on the way out doing the same thing. I hope that you all can help. Thanks in advance for any effert to help me on this. 😢 or is this the only way?

always be looking right infront of you look for a good line and if there is no good line or anything just pin it and wheelie over it that has always worked for me

hope i helped 😢

thanks for the input. That is pretty much what I have been doing. Around here you are usualy in a canyon coming around a blind corner and bam there it is, a nice steep rocky hill that all the 4X4s try to make it up.

ya i hate rocks like that

in a harescramble race once i had to go up a little stream that was all rock with about 5inches of water coming down at me we went up it for about a half mile it was the hardest part of any track i have ever been on

now that sucked i got soaked in water the first lap

in a harescramble race once i had to go up a little stream that was all rock with about 5inches of water coming down at me we went up it for about a half mile it was the hardest part of any track i have ever been on now that sucked i got soaked in water the first lap

That is pretty much what I am talking about but without the wanter. I am riding in dry river beds. The most part isnt bad but when you come around a corner and there is a steep incline/decline nothing but rounded rocks the only choice you have is gun it and hold on. Those situations are what I am talking about. So far I have been lucky and stayed on at least one wheel. I do know that I need to drop a tooth on the counter shaft, any tips will be helpful weather setup or teqnique all is appriciated. 😢 If we cross paths on the trail I will owe you a cold one at the end!!!!!

in a harescramble race once i had to go up a little stream that was all rock with about 5inches of water coming down at me we went up it for about a half mile it was the hardest part of any track i have ever been on now that sucked i got soaked in water the first lap

That is pretty much what I am talking about but without the wanter. I am riding in dry river beds. The most part isnt bad but when you come around a corner and there is a steep incline/decline nothing but rounded rocks the only choice you have is gun it and hold on. Those situations are what I am talking about. So far I have been lucky and stayed on at least one wheel. I do know that I need to drop a tooth on the counter shaft, any tips will be helpful weather setup or teqnique all is appriciated. 😢 If we cross paths on the trail I will owe you a cold one at the end!!!!!

thanks but i don't think it will happen cause i live in pennsylvania and you live in cally.

but some thing i do to prepare my bike for a rocky track i soften the suspension and run 15lb. air pressure in my tires but thats about it i hope i helped and thanks for the offer 😢

Invest in a steering damper.

Soften suspension front and rear.

Keep yourself centered over the bike to keep from being knocked side to side.

Try to hit the rocks that are firmly in the ground, stay away from the "bowling balls"

Good luck

I have looked into getting a damper but I have the XR650L and they dont make one for it that I have found 😢 One of the problems that I had this last weekend was too much air in the front tire (it was like riding on a basketball.) You all have been a great help.

I bet TortureChambers would have some advice on rocks. Have you seen his pics? He has ridden over some of the craziest rocky areas and seems to love it.

thank you dirty girl, and I loved your video. Thaks for posting it. I dont care what the rotten eggs post I still enjoyed it. I was hoping that he would post.

Bro with rocks just give it gas and pop the front wheel and it'll seem like nothing, same thing with anything in the way give it gas pull up on your bars and pop that front wheel over whatever is in your way because once you get the front the back will follow good luck with those rocks 😢 :cry: 😢

***** rocks kinda like mini whoops. Skip off the top of them. Why you asking in an MX Forum ? 😢😢

You have to keep up your momentum in a rock section. Also, Mx suspension sux in rocks.....too much deflection.

Why did it ****-out the word............... *****? Since when is the word T R E A T a bad word?

always be looking right infront of you look for a good line and if there is no good line or anything just pin it and wheelie over it that has always worked for me

hope i helped 😢

I disagree with looking right in front of you as you ride. You must look farther down the trail if you want to be prepared for the next objects. Looking right in front will only cause problems unless you are riding extremely slow.

I ride tons of rocks. First, soften you suspension a little if you are going to ride lots of rocks for the day. Next, keep your speed up as the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel turning will help you going in the direction you want to go. Try to go as straight through the rock sections as possible. Finally, stand up as much as you can so you can absorb some of the hit and work with your suspension.

Other than that, just practice. 😢