Sign in to follow this  

MXC vs. EXC ?

I just got done looking at the KTM website. Is there any difference between the MXC and the EXC besides the fuel tank size? Does either one come dual-sported (turning signals, brakelights, etc.) from the factory? At www.MOTORCYCLE-BROKERS.COM, they show a factory dual-sported 525 MXC. Final does the MSO state "For offroad use only" on it, when purchased new? Thanks for the help.

R.J.

navarre, fl

Alright, I just got smart on the difference in tranny ratio's between the MXC and EXC from reading the TT's KTM forum. Anything else, significant?

R.J.

The tank size and transmission ratios as well as brake/tail light and headlight on the exc and also a multi function speedo/trip gauge on the exc. The mxc has a close ratio 6 speed transmission with the first 4 gears being equal to the sx model. The exc has a 6 speed wide ratio transmission with a lower first gear and a higher 6th gear. The mxc is equipped to power lights but you have to add them. Neither bike comes street legal from the factory. KTM sells the parts necessary to convert them as well as companies like Baja designs. The mxc costs about 2 or 300 dollars more to convert because it needs more parts. Also, either model would need DOT tires to make it legal in some states. I recently bought an 05 525exc and got it licensed with the necessary street legal parts. I also bought an extra set of wheels and sx plastic so I can quickly convert it back to full off road use or even ride mx with it. It works pretty darn good in all situations with woods being it's specialty.

450/525 seat height(same) ground clearance(same), and weight are just about the same on both bikes. If you're buying the EXC, most order the bigger fuel tank. The MXC carries the same stator as the EXC, so adding the necessary lighting doesn't require upping the stator.

This is the "loop-hole" people are using to get their bikes DS'ed in CA.

Specially Constructed Vehicle

580. A "specially constructed vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts.

Amended Ch. 1286, Stats. 1983. Effective January 1, 1984.

If you're going to Dual Sport your ride, then I'd highly recommend you contact Dale, at www.trickdualsport.com 😢 He's big on KTM, and knows his stuff. I have one on my bike, and haven't had any issues for the past year.

I would send them an email to find out... they seem to be pretty specific about the accessories the bike comes with, and the bike IS sold as street legal in the rest of the world.

Here in WA the EXC is still titled as a 'G cyc' which means plated road bike, even though they are sold with full knobbies, no brakelight, turnsignals or horn.

The best dualsport conversion for the ktm's are to be had from the KTM hardparts catalog, since the bike's wiring harness is already set up specifically for these parts. They are robust and fit like they came from the factory (which they do). Do a quick search on KTMTalk.com and you should find the importer who brings these parts in.

no they do not say off road only on the mso, here in washington you do not even need turnsignals if you have an exc just put mirrors on it and you are ready to go, you do not even need dot tires rcw 46.37.420 states nothing about dot tires , on the regular tires they say not for highway use on them to save the tires companys own ass if you are doing 100mph down the road and they blow up it is not there fault.