Sign in to follow this  

Fall Color Tour Hey Mutual Bill.........

Bill, did you ride Sunday? Did your buds show up? We talked in the parking lot Sunday morning, (while it was raining).

We rode last years Saturday loop on Friday, then the main loop Saturday and bailed Sunday morning because of the rain. We had a blast. If you ever want to go to Milford, (west of Topeka about 50 miles) let me know. We go there maybe a 1/2 dozen times a year and spend the day. Some guys camp (state lake) overnite and ride two days. It's a good ride. I was curious if you rode on Sunday.

Take care

-Terry

'98 RXCe400 Lc4

'03 KLX400SR

'89 FXRS-Sp

KissShot1@aol.com

Yeah...they showed up...and so we made the ride. 6 of us left the parking lot together that morning...and we picked up 2 more on the trail. I saw three others that made the ride as well. So out of 150 riders...less then a dozen managed to ride in the rain.

The rock garden was rough in the rain...especially when your glasses and goggles were fogging over. I finally took them both off and rode blind (as you will). Some of the hill climbing right after the rock garden was tough too...because it was all clay...and hence very greasy. I got half way up one climb and the back passed the front. I made a second attemp and made it too about 10' from the top. I had to get it into the leaves and walk the rest of the way up.

We were beat after that portion...so we rested a bit...the rain slowed and we continued on. The rest was much more manageable...even in the rain. The only problem was some of the puddles in the trail. Some you could go around...others you had to ride through. We quickly discovered that many of these were more then 3 feet deep. I was lucky not to hydrolic my motor....but it was all a blast. I am glad we stayed to ride the day 2 loop. Yes...it was a challenge...but a blast none the less.

I grew up in that area of Arkansas and I want to do the tour next year.

1) How do you register for it? What's the cost?

2) Do you have the GPS coordinates for the trails? I'd love to have them this summer when I visit back home.

Thanks,

BillKat

You need to contact RL. The ride was $85 this year and included a cool embroidered logo henley T or mock turtle shirt.

He provided all the GPS files, roll charts and maps...and then you navigate yourself. I can tell you I would not dream of trying it without the GPS and using the buddy system. One guy riding alone flung himself off the technical section and broke his collar bone. Luckily some other riders found him. I guess his bike was deep in the brush and not easily found. The same could have happened to his body.

On a positive note some guys riding ATVs came along and rode him out. They retrieved his bike and are even going to deliver it back to Kansas for him. (They happen to have a truck that makes deliveries around his hometown. They are going to load it up and drop it off.) How cool is that? See...those ATV guys can be good for something. 😢

More pics got added...and I just happen to be in one of them. I am the big dork wearing the chiefs sweatshirt.

The jersey I WAS wearing got completely soaked when I went through that huge mud hole a little too hot. I pushed a huge wave in front of me and it enveloped me. I made it through upright though. Some were not as lucky. Fortunately I had the dry sweatshirt in my back pack for in case the temp dropped. At least I had something dry to wear for the rest of the ride. 😢

Looks like fun. Are all your trails that wide or is it just the pictures?

The adventure loop and some of the main loop is minimum maintenance county roads and fire roads. The Main loop technical sections were atv trails...so they are wide enough for and ATV.