Sign in to follow this  

Rear Sprocket Bolts - HELP!

Went to change out my rear tire and rear sprocket over the weekend. I wasn't able to loosen the sprocket bolts, using an allen wrench and a crescent wrench (12mm??). I ended up rounding off two of the nuts and had to drill them out. I even soaked them with "break free". It appears the nut is a special locking nut.

How do I get the others off?

Should I replace with the same hardware or something different?

Thanks

Craig aka "BillKat"

You have to use the socket head allen to hold only, then use a good quality box end wrench on the nut. Better even if ya smack the wrench end with a dead blow hammer.. The bolts are tight for a reason..

You need to shock them loose, or as you found out, you'll just strip them.

Yes use quality OEM fasteners with your stock hubs.

great.... i am getting ready to change my rear sprocket...

sounds like no fun....

I wish i had an allen screw for my impact driver

great.... i am getting ready to change my rear sprocket...

sounds like no fun....

I wish i had an allen screw for my impact driver

Cheap to get,, but don’t try it in this case. The hex head fastener will strip. You really need to break um loose before putting any real force to the head of that fastener.

Bronco,

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get these new sprockets on and take her for a test ride.

could you post a link to the tool i should buy...

like maybe at sears or something?

Cresent wrenches are a no no unless you are working on the kitchen sink! 😢

Wrong term. I used a combo box wrench in 12mm and was still unsuccessful in getting it off.

As for the kitchen sink, I typically use a pipe wrench, not your standard adjustable crescent wrench.

Wrong term. I used a combo box wrench in 12mm and was still unsuccessful in getting it off.

As for the kitchen sink, I typically use a pipe wrench, not your standard adjustable crescent wrench.

If you used a 12 point box end... it must be a good quality, tight fitting wrench..and no matter what,, a shock from a dead blow hammer to the end of the wrench is a better way to but loose the fasteners... better yet if done with a 6 point box end.. But both have worked for me,,,many more times than I can remember.

Yep. The 12 point I used was a cheap chinese knock-off, probably from the People's Republic of China Tool Outlet Store (aka Harbor Freight). 😢

Bronco advised me to get the 6 point box end wrench and it worked perfectly. The man knows what he's talkin' about. 😢 It was a piece of cake after he informed me to turn the box end wrench and not the allen wrench.