Sign in to follow this  

Valve clearance

Hey, book says to check valve clearance after 15 hrs, does this sound right? What is the spec? and is this something I should take to shop to get done? I am mechanical but I dont know much about the mechanics of a motorcycle.

Do you know where I can get information on how to adjust them? you say .004-.008 Thousandths? so .006 thou.??

I need help, dont want to spend an arm and a leg at dealership. How long does it take to do?? I am getting ready to go riding this next week and I would like to get the valves adjusted, considering I have not done it.

Please advise. 😢

its shim under bucket.so really as long as its with the range its good.if its right at the tight or loose limit you could reshim.

checking takes 30 minutes max.if you have to change shims it takes a bit longer as you have to take the cams out.

here is a post or two.

Valves & Shims

valves and Shims the easy way

It is a simple procedure...but like anything,, some folks have no biz doing this.. as tools and there mind do not work well together.. As long as those people understand that,, all is well 😢

If you do not yet have a factory service manual.. get one,,,,it is invaluable for the pics, specs, and procedures for doing just what your asking about,, that manual coupled with some mechanical common sense, basic to advanced tools,, and a DRZ forum with folks wiling to answer your questions.. There really is not much the home user can not do on the DRZ

Thanks, guys you have been very helpfull, I will buy the service manual and tools needed. do I need a metric feeler Gauge? or can I use my standard feelers.