Sign in to follow this  

Can the 250 hang at high altitude??

HI all. I've been riding a cbr600 for the past 2 years, but now I'm making the switch to dirt.

I am leaning towards the 250r for the light weight and fun factor, and also I do want to make sure I learn good riding habits.

I'm 5'10" 160, and from reading posts, it almost sounds like the 250 seems to have "just enough" power to keep a smile on your face. I'm just worried that when riding at at high altitude here in Colorado it might leave me wanting more?

Coming from a sportbike, I feel that I do have good throttle control and sense for a high torque motor. Should I look into the 450?

I think that the only time I notice a power loss at high altitude is when I am doign hi speeds, for single track not a difference, but if you hit a fire road and are trying to go like 60-70 its gonna take alot longer at altitude to get there than a 450 would. I would recomend the 250. If it doesnt have anough later down the line there is always motor mods to be done......

I'm in Denver too and I have a CFR250R and a YZF450. If you are new to dirt, the 250 is what I recommend. I love mine and get very close to the same lap times for MX on either bike. I ride about every weekend and my blue bike spends most of those on its stand in the garage looking pretty. I do get a lot less fatigue on the 250 and don't start seeing spots at the end of a race.

Everything comes down to personal choice, its just hard to know until you have ridden enough and had saddle time on enough different bikes to "know" what you want.

My 450 is for sale so if you are interested in it, PM me and I'll send you the info and a photo.

I'm in Aspen and all the guys I ride with including myself LOVE the 250 whether R or X! I wouldn't trade my bike for anything else.