Sign in to follow this  

XR50 high idle?

I recently picked up a 2001 XR50 for my 4 year old son. It had an aftermarket throttle assembly and throttle cable. I switched it back to the stock assembly and cable in order to use the throttle limiter.

I got everything together and started it up. I started it with the choke on, then moved it to the middle position once it started. It idled fine, but when I moved the choke back to the off position the idle went through the roof. I tried adjusting the idle screw, but it made no difference.

I decided to park it for the night and post here for recommendations. Anyone have thoughts on what might be causing it? I thought maybe the throttle cable needed adjustment, but I can't figure out how to adjust the elbow right at the throttle. It's threaded, but it can't be rotated with the cable running through it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

using stock handlebars?...tho if it had a bar-kit on it, the stock throttle cable is wayy to short...if you twist the throttle and release it, can you hear the slide "clunk", as it snaps back?

Yeah, I put the stock bars back on. I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible for my little guy. The throttle is definitely snapping back when I release it.

On My 04 (I think the cables are the same) the adjuster is under the rubber boot a few inches from the throttle assembly on the bars. Mine's bone stock with the factory cables and such.

On My 04 (I think the cables are the same) the adjuster is under the rubber boot a few inches from the throttle assembly on the bars. Mine's bone stock with the factory cables and such.

He's right on. Also, when adjusting, make sure the cable doesn't get too tight when turned all the way left & right. If the cable isn't thru the frame guide it can cause problems. There are actually 2 screws for idle adjustment. You may have to play with both of them after changing the throttle cable. I think I had to.