Sign in to follow this  

Bike running like crap at the end of a ride (crosspost from WR450)

I went for a ride close to my house on Saturday. During the ride to the trail and on the trail the bike ran great. After the dirt portion was over I started the bike up to ride home. The entire ride home the bike ran like crap, stumbling all over itself. It was poping like it was running lean. The fuel hose wasn't blocked.

Before I tear the carb apart does anyone have any ideas where I should look for the problem. Prior to the ride I had moved the clip on the needle up for winter if that would make a difference.

The clip needs to move down the needle for the winter not up?

Make sure you are running a 48 pilot for the winter and fuel screw is open approx 2 turns. 😢

Sorry, I meant to say I raised the needle. Lowered the clip.

Look for dirt clogging the pilot jet and air passages. Make sure the float bowl is clean and that the accelerator pump squirts fuel.

If everything looks good, remove the spark plug and see if it's running rich/black. Replace the spark plug and consider moving the needle clip position back (leaner) if nothing else was wrong.

James

Seems odd that it would happen in the middle of a ride, but water in the fuel can cause this if it gets in the jets in the carb.

Thanks to everyone who posted. The first thing I think I will do is go back to the original jetting and make sure that I didn't run it too rich and foul the plug.

Something you might check if you have one the shorty vent valves for your gas cap is to see if it isn't stuck not allowing air into the gas tank. I encountered this on two bikes. Bike ran fine to a point, then started running lean and eventually died. Removed gas cap and bike started fine and ran well. Pulled fuel line to check flow and found no flow till gas cap was removed again. Something to check. Good luck. 😢