Sign in to follow this  

Cummuting Tires

So for those of you that use your DRZ to commute with, what tires have you found that do a good/great job for both the Highway/Dirt needs. I've heard the D606 is a great off-road tire that is also DOT approved so that would be an option but I don't know how long it will last and I don't feel like replacing tires once a month. I thought maybe a second set of wheels with deathwings but then I found out how much entire wheel sets cost.

I've seen high mileage posted on the Metzeler Karoos (3000+) and have heard of higher reports on the D606's, but I run the D606 and have gotten now near 1500 miles on the rear, but it's time for a replacement. That's about double the miles I got on my D756. The 606 is great on both blacktop and dirt though...and I've read the same about the Karoo's. I'm still on the fence as to which one to buy for the next set. 😢

Living in AZ you can prolly run knobbies all year. I took the blocks off her yesterday and put on some sweet Avon street tires for the rainy season. Since I don't really like mud (I know, I know), my off-road excursions are confined to the fire roads till the sun comes out again. I guess I'm saying I don't believe that any 1 tire will do the job completely.

Metz Karoo is good, front is not the best in the dirt so I switched to

the Bridgestone E661, better dirt tire yet still decent on the street & DOT.

The Karro is steel belted & pretty stiff so it handles well on the road.

I was getting about 3000 total out of them, but after 1500 they are

not the best thing to take offroad, still street usable though.

Keep your eyes open for a second set of rims, I got some used for $450

with a set of trailwings on them. I still have a set of slicks to put

on them but I decided to wear out the wings first.