Sign in to follow this  

Rear end kicking violently in whoops

I have an 01 yz250f. I weigh about 130 and my suspension was done up by Factory Connection by the previous owner. The previous owner did a mix of woods and mx riding and was about maybe 150-160. I have since then set the pre-load, set the compression and rebound in both fork and shock to where I like them alot. The only place I can't seem to get the suspension to hook up in is in the whoops. The rear end ends up swing side to side violently, a few times almost throwing me off bad. I am leaning back, standing, and gassing through not letting off. I notice the swinging is worse in whoops that a spred out widely. I notice in whoops that are quite close together, I don't seem to have as much of a problem. Is it my technique that is off or is it my suspension? Any suggestions?

Most of the time that I see people all over the place in whoops it stems from their body position. Obviously you need to be back on the bike, accelerating, etc. , but I think the thing that most people miss is gripping and squeezing the bike with their legs. Whoops are the place where you MUST squeeze or have problems with swapping left to right with the rear end.

I would disagree that you need more damping on the rebound, because too much rebound damping causes the bike to pack (suspension stays down through each whoop and does not extend fast enough to put the wheel back on the ground). Too little rebound damping and you get a springy feeling.

My bet is that it is a combination of suspension, possibly valving and you may need it revalved for MX only and for your weight. If it is rebound damping, my bet is that it is too much damping and the bike is packing which will cause the bike to kick and swap every time.

I would say try to squeeze first, then look at the suspension. Have someone watch the rear wheel and see if it is extending back out after each whoop.

James

I agree you need to play with your clickers. Note where they are and go thru making one change at a time. It sounds like packing to me. But it also sounds like too much preload. Have you checked your rear sag. 90- 100mm.

I agree you need to play with your clickers. Note where they are and go thru making one change at a time. It sounds like packing to me. But it also sounds like too much preload. Have you checked your rear sag. 90- 100mm.

I agree. Rebound is too slow, which causes packing (the suspension rebounds too slowly to recover for the next hit) Speed that bugger up some and see if it helps. That would be turning the rebound clickers Out or counter-clockwise. I'd start with 2 clicks out and go from there.

Thanks guys, I will do some testing this weekend on it. My preload is set at just about 100mm. I'll let you guys know how i made out. Also, a good friend of mine who seems to be of some knowledge when it comes to suspension, pushed on the rear of my bike and he noticed it came up very slowly compared to his yz250f which has an mx type revalve and it came up pretty fast. He said that type of reaction means it's probably definetly suited more for low speed trail riding. Maybe he's right.

I heard:

Swapping in whoops (side to side) is from too fast rebound.

Packing is from too slow rebound.

If you rear end is coming down too slow then it will hit the middle of the next whoop (packing). If your rebound is too fast then your tire will come down into the next whoop to much causing the rear end to jump off to the side of the whoops. This can start as early as the second whoop.

Also, If the front suspension is too soft and blows through the whoops, and your rear suspension is too hard it WILL ride up and over.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Whens the last time you had your shock serviced? Old fluid can lead to poor performance. I had mine set very slow and it bounced all over the place. I sped it up and it would bounce even more and kick me off the bike. Shock not reacting the way it should because of old worn out fluid.

just a thought....

Thanks guys, I will do some testing this weekend on it. My preload is set at just about 100mm. I'll let you guys know how i made out. Also, a good friend of mine who seems to be of some knowledge when it comes to suspension, pushed on the rear of my bike and he noticed it came up very slowly compared to his yz250f which has an mx type revalve and it came up pretty fast. He said that type of reaction means it's probably definetly suited more for low speed trail riding. Maybe he's right.

Hes dam right if its coming up noticably slow thats a fair part of your problem. The first thing you should do is turn your revoung clicker out two to four clicks and try that. Sometimes a large change like four clicks helps novices to feel whats happening and they wont fell a two click change. It generally pays for novices to go a click or two to far and then go back two clicks once they know theyve gone too far. I reckon two clicks is generally pretty hard to feel for most riders.