Sign in to follow this  

Bad news - Racer Killed at Iowa Ameteur Arenacross

Seems like a lot of deaths this year in MX. I blame the promoters for making the tracks so difficult. Too big of jumps, blind landings, and lack of flaggers.

Godspeed aswell

How would lack of flaggers get a rider killed??? I dont see how more flaggers would make people fall less.

I have seen lack of flaggers almost get a rider killed. Not just lack of flaggers, but flaggers that sleep or pick their nose during a race. If a flagger is stationed on a jump and somebody goes down while the flagger is digging for gold in his nose instead of waving a yellow flag, people can come over a jump and plow the guy on the ground. 😢

How would lack of flaggers get a rider killed??? I dont see how more flaggers would make people fall less.

Silly question. 😢

AX is dangerous as hell besides the lack of attentivness on the flagers part. Those tracks are very hard, anyone that has walked a sx or ax track knows what im talkin about

They need to tone down arenacross tracks a lot IMO, its still cool to see them do jumps that have a little room for error, instead of 75 foot triples with a 2 foot vertical landing pad. Poor guy, I feel for his family. 😢

AX is dangerous as hell besides the lack of attentivness on the flagers part. Those tracks are very hard, anyone that has walked a sx or ax track knows what im talkin about

yup. the tracks are hard as rock, and very compact layouts. this will be my second consecutive year racing arenacross at the baltimore arena. last year i broke my arm (humerous), my friend broke his foot, another local guy we all know broke his kneck and is paralyzed now, even josh demuth broke his leg at baltimore last year. arenacross is certainly more dangerous than most other forms of mx.

i figure i paid my dues last year with my arm, so this year i should be okay. 😢

Flaggers are there to prevent a fallen rider from getting hurt even more. If they do what they're suppose to do, other riders will be alerted to a fallen rider and slow down to go around him. If there were no flaggers and a fallen rider on the downside of a jump, many people could get hurt.

I have to wonder how many total deaths there have been since arenacross was started. I'm not saying I would expect a lot, but I also know they tend to keep these things quite. It is a very intense, brutal sport (although spectacular).

Very simple guys

He said a chest protector might have prevented the fatality.

Wear your Chest Protectors 😢

I wear mine ALL THE TIME, it's saved me countless times 😢

Very simple guys

Where did you get this information?

I did not see anything to that effect on iowamotocross.com. 😢

Flaggers are there to prevent a fallen rider from getting hurt even more. If they do what they're suppose to do, other riders will be alerted to a fallen rider and slow down to go around him. If there were no flaggers and a fallen rider on the downside of a jump, many people could get hurt.

don't forget about the bike, landing on a downed rider's bike is no fun at all.

IMO, lack of adequate (and competent) flaggers is the biggest safety issue at local tracks these days, and should be getting a lot more attention than track design; the safest, best-designed tabletop in the world can become deadly when a rider goes down and there is no one to warn oncoming traffic.

Yeah Arenacross is just nuts...plain and simple, I rode one in Tacoma 2 years ago and when I walked the track all I could do was 😢 they had stuff I'd never dreamed you could attempt on a dirt bike, like one of those single onto a table off that table onto another and down on to a single sections. and the lips were so vert that not being experienced enough to know I learned the hard way (vertical bike in the air with me landing on my back from 15 feet up) it was a sobering experience.

that all being said, I think the reason that AX is getting so crazy is the promoter's desire to please fans. and what do fans want to see? they want to see HUGE jumps...how do you pack a huge 75-100 foot triple into a stadium that doesn't really have room for the proper takeoff and landing ramps? simple, make the takeoffs as close to vertical as you can justify, and then make the landing ramp short and steep. this may be fine for pros that can take a 75 footer in their sleep, but for an amatuer...it leaves no room for screwups and often leads to injury.

I'm not saying arenacross is bad...not by a long shot, I thought it was great fun. but I do kind of see this sport heading toward a peak (for lack of a better analogy) and when we hit that peak, things will be so extreme due to this craze for big air and insane tricks...that a LOT of people are going to get hurt. and seeing that time come scares me. I hope that some of these promoters can gain some awareness and prevent that from happening.

my prayers go out to his family.

Sad to say I think the time is here. Bike technology has advanced so rapidly and the speeds of the race's have increased dramatically. Amateurs are going just as fast as pros only not for as long.

Look at the list of ameteurs that jumped right into the National moto wars and ran well within the top 10 - Josh Grant, Davie Milsaps, Tom Hahn, ect... Just goes to show how fast the ameteurs really are. I do not know what the answer is but something does need to be done. I don't think death should be an exceptable risk in any sport, but that's where were headed. 😢

I wish I had the answer.

Thought's and prayor's to the family.

it sounds like they didn't knock the jumps down from the pro race the night before or something. typically, what happens at an arenacross race is that the pros race friday and saturday on the real big and technical jumps. saturday night after the races, the promoters, or whoever, normally rework the track, knocking down the big nasty jumps and taming the whole track down for the sunday program, which is all amatuers. this doesn't mean that they make the track "easy" by any means, just not pro-level. i think sometimes they are lazy and don't tame the track down, or don't tame it down enough, for some of the more novice competitors.. and then you get broken bones. my broken arm this year was more my fault than anything. i went out with a stone cold motor and bogged before a big double, nosed the landing, and faced the next jump. 😢 *splat* - bike landed on my right as i was hitting the ground, cracking my humerus bone, about a 4-inch spiral fracture jsut below the femeral head. yes, it hurt.

alot. 😢

Very simple guys

Where did you get this information?

I did not see anything to that effect on iowamotocross.com. 😢

Des Moines police and auditorium officials confirmed to KCCI that a motorcylist died on Sunday.

Officials said that Brandon Duncan Olsen, 20, of Ames, was in a qualifying heat when he lost control of his cycle on an obstacle section of the dirt track. A witness said his chest struck the handlebars.

Polk County Medical Examiner Gregory Schmunk said Olsen died of a lacerated aorta caused by the impact to his chest. He said a chest protector might have prevented the fatality.