Sign in to follow this  

Are they really that bad?

I am considering buying a '01 yz250f. I ride and race mx only and this might be my next bike. My current ride is a heavily modified '99 yz 133. Are the '01's still competitive. Are they still considered to be a bike as the mags say, "Throw a pipe on it and race." The bike i am considering has a pipe and some suspension work so will that helpl close the gap between the '03's and newer? Or am I chasing my tail by going to the lightly modded yzf compared to my yz? Any opinions would be great. 😢

Now that I read that again it sounds harsh. I just meant are they really that bad compared to the newer model yzfs.

the 250f's and 125s are pretty close to the same thing! Stock the yz250f is a little faster more horsepower too.

The 250F has a slight advantage over the 125, especially the newer YZF's. If that YZ was as heavily modded as you say is was, you would be in about the same place with an older YZF. I would base your decision on your riding style, which would drastically change if you got a 250F, and the type of riding you do, trails, tracks, etc.

I ride and race mx only. Every once in a while I would like to have some extra power off bottom to get around the track easier. So thats why I think of a 250f. I then think about how much is into my yz and i get stuck. I think my bike has close to $1000 in the engine. It runs on race gas because of the race piston and head combo on it. So I am making some good power of of this thing. So a stock yzf is making about the same peak power as this? Then it has the extra torque. Damn thats amazing so you pretty much need a 125 race bike to keep up with a lightly modded yzf? These little thumpers are amazing then!! 😢