Sign in to follow this  

messed up...maybe

until 400pm today ive always had stock sprockets and the stock chain. 14-52 i think. today i bought new 13-52 sprockets and a rk gold o-ring chain. on the rk website it said 114 links so i laid it next to the stock chain and sure enough i needed to cut six links off. well. i adjusted the wheel all the way forward and could not get the chain to stretch far enough after i cut the six links off.

is it okay for me to add a link and use two master links??

thats what i expected to hear. im going to put the stock chain back on. my dad said that someone with a chain breaker can put a link back on without using two master links. is that right??

i still cant figure out how it came up short.

"CR250F

1022-048ZG

13-52

GB520MXZ-114"

I did the same thing to my 125 and ran two master links for a long time with no trouble. 😢

okay. i found the problem. stock gearing is 13-51. i thought it was 14-52. my new sprockets are 13-52. i thought i was dropping in the front and instead i was adding to the rear. still the kit said 114 links. this blows. now ive got to run two master links and id really rather not.

anyone know if my dad was right about being able to put another link back on??

It is somewhat of a ghetto fix, but at the same time, how short are you? If it is not much at all, you should be able to run the bike a few times and it will stretch and you can lose the second link.

and heres the rest of the story.

two months ago. sprained ankle and mild concussion. took one month to get riding. ankle still hurts like hell. anyways. first time back on the bike. broken hub. dont ask. i dont know how the hell that happened. now one month later ive got a new wheel and im trying to get the sprockets and chain on and go riding tomorrow. its been too long and my 50 isnt enough. i need to ride my big bike tomorrow.

it was short enough that the stock chain was too short and ive been riding weekly on the stock chain since last december.

Two links is no problem. I ran my 450 that way for over a year and it has a little more power than our 250's. Just make sure you install them correctly and don't sweat it. How many of you busted a master link? None, didn't think so. It also allows you to make gearing changes at the track.